2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

SES Code PO400......anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Default SES Code PO400......anyone???

Ok, so on my 00 Eclipse 3.0 it started to idle funny....then the check engine light came on. So I scanned the car the code was PO400 which is a EGR flow malfunction. I then cleaned the EGR valve on it and it ran good for about 100 miles or so then the light came back on......have any of you guys ran into this code before? I was thinking about replacing either the EGR solonoid or Vacuum contol valve. Does anyone know if you can run a test on either of these?

Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Default RE: SES Code PO400......anyone???

Any thoughts......from anyone?!?!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM

i don't know if you can test the selenoid or the vacuum control valve. if they are too expensive, i would say to just replace them.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

It's likely the soleniod shyttin itself. That's what it sounds like to me at least... I'd say replace the valve and soleniod if it's not too expensive.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:04 PM

P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction
Every soulution i have read about suggest firs clean the egr with carbon cleaner if this dose not fix it replace the egr. also check all vac line if any.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: get435

P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction
Every soulution i have read about suggest firs clean the egr with carbon cleaner if this dose not fix it replace the egr. also check all vac line if any.
That was the first thing I did, I wrote it in my post.......

Old 03-08-2006, 04:52 AM

Pinch the vacuum hose with the yellow tracer on top of the throttle body (there should be 3 hoses - only the one with the yellow tracer) and see what happens. The engine should run rough or stall immediately. If it doesn't- remove the intake hose, spray some of the throttle body/carbon cleaner on a rag and wipe down the small ports leading to these vacuum hoses (namely the one with the yellow tracer and the one with the blue tracer). Since you don't have a scan tool- disconnect the battery to erase the DTC and road test it again. The distance traveled doesn't matter if your not driving it within the parameters required for the PCM to perform a readiness test on the EGR system. What you'll need to do is accellerate to 40MPH and try to maintain it steady for at least 20 seconds. From there, close the throttle and allow it to decelerate to a near stop WITHOUT hitting the brakes- repeat. During decel, the PCM will activate the EGR and watches the MAP sensor to verify EGR flow. If you can do this several times without the light coming back on, you should be golden. Again.. count to at least 20 seconds at 40MPH before starting your decel WITHOUT hitting the brakes. Try this 1st and see what happens.... Good luck!

Joel, CA

Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 AM

Joel-

I tried pinching the yellow vac hose this weekend, the car did start to idle really rough......pretty soon I'm just going to bring it to a shop........any other Ideas?

Old 03-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Did you try everything else Joel suggested? Resetting the ECU by tking the battery terminal off and then the 40mph testing?

Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Yes, except i erased the code w/ my scan tool instead of disconnecting the battery. Did about 4 counted to 20 and kept a 40 mph speed then let the car slow itself down. This wasn't enough to throw the code though, I did notice that when I pinched the yellow hose after a few seconds I heard a hissing sound back by the egr valve is that normal?

Quick Reply: SES Code PO400......anyone???