2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Shift Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Default RE: Shift Solenoid

I removed the solenoids today and they all test ok. All lines have continuity and each solenoid clicks when given power.

I did however clean them very quickly with a shot of ether before testing them.

Is it possible that one was stuck for some reason and the handling or cleaning freed it?

Could it be another problem that would cause me to get a solenoid error on my scanner.... such as another component up the line causing the solenoid to fail?

Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

If the solenoids are good you probably have a problem w/ the valve body. Thats why you should try replacing the shift solenoid assembly and the valve body. If dirt gets in there it could cause the soelnoids to stickor partially block somethingin the valve body. Since the fluid wasn't fried you can assume the clutches and all the internal parts of the trans are ok.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 AM

I took the valave body apart and checked most of it out. I'll finish looking it over today.

BTW..... does anyone have a diagram of where the check ***** are supposed to go?

one fell out and there are two possible spots to put it back into.

this is a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 2.4L

Thanks to everyone so far for all the help.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Here are some pics of the valve body and solenoid assembly.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Thank you very much.. I went ahead and bought a week subscription to an online manual for $10 and it had those same pics. I actually just came back here to tell you all that.

Thank you again though. those are the exact pics I needed.

now, the solenoids are all clciking when given power, the valves and valve body seem to be in good shape. so I have no clue what gives. Maybe myremoving stuff and quick cleaning the solenoids was enough to free them up... is that reasonably possible?

what other things could it be? remember that I did get a code for the solenoid being bad (P1750). I did read somewhere that a guy changed his solenoids beacuse the code read that way but it turned out to be a throttle position sensor... is that a possibility?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I would doubt a bad t/p sensor since you dont have a cel light for it. It it was shifting hard or something like that then maybe. Did you notice if there is a procedure to air check the different sets of clutches since you have the pan off?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM

i didn't notice if there was but there is a LOAD of info... so I will look.

The car was running/shifting just fine then one morning my son said that the car wouldn't shift out of first. He finished the drive to school and then home later. Total of only 2 miles. When he got home, I drove it around the block. Stuck in first mostly buit I was able to get second once by manipulating the pedal. There is no reverse either.

So, essentially, everything went out at once, except for first. Previously, the tranny never slipped or acted up.... although it did always seem like it would hang in gear when coasting but that may be normal.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM

oddly enough i found a spyder that was selling up for 1.5k cuz of the same tranny problem... it just wouldnt go into reverse and had hard shifting.... how much do a shop charge you to fix such solenoid? cuz if its not that bad.... well... it'd a good price for the car

Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM

You can buy a new set of solenoids for $425 +/-. It is pretty easy to change yourself. I imagine you'd pay $6-700 to have it done by someone else.

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoid