2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

SHOULD I GET THE GST?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Default SHOULD I GET THE GST?

So, my Z28 just got rear ended and I'm going to the Navy in June...I wanted to get something fun to drive and not too expensive, since i won't be taking the car with me...I've always like the 95-99 Eclipse GST's, but never got around to buying one. I've heard their are a lot of problems with these cars, due to poor maintenance of the turbo's.

Well, i'm looking at one right now for $4200 with 113,000 miles. It's a 1995. The guy is older, but not the original owner. A kid may have owned it before. The car has exhaust, k&n, and a turbo timer. The turbo timer makes me feel good, because that's good for it...He has records for prior oil changes and the clutch was changed less than 2 years ago. (He had papers for this) Paint is in perfect shape, body is clean. It needs speakers or something...Stereo does not sound right. Most likely i would get a head unit and speakers.

Other than that, no complaints. Car runs good, seemed quick, clean interior, good enough tires 50% tread left.

What do you think? He originally was selling it for 5,000 and i got him to 4200. I'm going to offer 4000. if he accepts, i think i should buy...No, or yes?

Here is the car.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_po...p;photoIndex=0

Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Default RE: SHOULD I GET THE GST?

if he takes 4k i say go for it, just know its going to need a t-belt change, water pump etc, the 120k miles service, but if you say the engine runs well, feels nice under boost, and the tranny feels good then i say go for it, the exterior looks nice and for a 95 the miles are low, its stock which is also a plus, good luck.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 AM

Hmm, i'll ask him about the timing belt...

Also, what about this crankwalk deal? Do you think i could still potentially have it with 113,000 miles on the car?

I did hear a ticking on the passenger side of the motor for a second, but when the air went on, the noise went away. It didn't sound like metal, just clicking. It wasn't lifters, because like i said it only happened when it switched from the ac compressor turning on and off.

I'm going to listen for more noises, hold the clutch and listen for noises, make left turns abruptly while holding the clutch and check to see if the car is smoking anywhere...If it passes these tests and he accepts 4,000 i think i'll do it...

Also, their is a 98 mustang gt for sale with 82,000 miles for 2700. Very, very nice. It's an auto, which sucks, but the guy told me it makes a ticking noise from the left side of the motor...He says it's an exhaust leak, but of course it's probably something serious...

Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 AM

valve tick is pretty common with these cars so it MIGHT be that but since you mentioned it stopped probably not, just take your time and look over the car, i explained more in the pm.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Well its sounds like you know what your talking about and have done the research on these. Also check for drops in oil pressure when you hit the clutch in. and coming to stop. Mine used to do that and im fairly sure it was due to the crankwalk comming. (i didnt keep it long enough to find out, haha).

And i definetly wouldnt pay more than 4k. That actually is the high end to me for that car because the miles it has and only being a GST and how old it is. I bought my 95 talon AWD with 120k for only 4800. So that gives you an idea. These cars are great because of the price, but the age starts to make them maintenance ******.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

It looks very clean for its age, and possibly a solid buy.

Just make sure you drive the car, hit all 5 gears including reverse. Put the car in 5th and go wide open throttle to check for the way the clutch grabs. Do other things like check the oil dipstick, etc. Make sure all the correct maintenance has been done. Remember to press every little button on the interior to check for things that don't work. This will come in handy when negotiating the price. Be sure to emphasize any imperfection you encounter. Oh, also take a compression tester with you. Normal numbers will be in the 150's and should be constant across the board. If you get one that is lower than all the rest by over 10psi, then walk away.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 PM

Well, i bought the car, but didn't do the compression test...I didn't have any tools for that.

Also, i checked everything mechanical and nothing was wrong. I did find one thing wrong, but my buddy who has an 05 STI told me to not worry about it and get it. On top of the motor, where the screws are you can see it's barely leaking oil. Basically, it needs a new gasket. Oil was clean, car doesn't smoke. No leak from the turbo either. So, i'll have to change the gasket and i told the owner this. I did get him down to 4000, so that was nice. He originally wanted 5600, lol!!! He pushed it to 4,995, then i talked him into 4200, then put 4000 in his face today and he took it...The car really is nice and nothing else is wrong, so as of now i'm happy. I did all the sympotoms for crankwalk and found nothing...Car held every gear when i floored it, clutch is nice.

He said he hasn't changed the timing belt, so i'm going to change that and the gasket and get an oil change. After this, the car should be running nice...

Also, my buddy has an 05 GMC truck. (295 hp version) He has a chip and intake. It's not the big GMC, the smaller quicker one. Anyway, for fun we hit it at 50 or so and i thought i would get dominated...Although, i absolutely annihilated him...He got the hit and i started to pull instantly. By 4th, i must have had 4 cars on him...Car is pretty quick, i was impressed...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

The oil you are talking about really is no big deal, and it will always do that.

Honestly, these cars aren't that slow. For their day and age they are nippy, even by todays standards.

It is a very clean car and I hope you enjoy it and take care of it.

Be very careful, you have entered the community that will fuel your automotive ambition for the rest of your life. That smirk it puts on your face when the turbo spools... will drive you to mod the ever loving **** out of it : )

Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks man.

The car has exhaust on it and a cone k&n filter. I think I'm going to get a Cold air intake and get rid of the catalytic converter under the car. Also, when i do this i'll upgrade the downpipe and make it bigger. Maybe 3inches, how does this sound?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you got a very nice deal. Good luck w/ it.

Quick Reply: SHOULD I GET THE GST?