2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

SHOULD I GET THE GST?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Default RE: SHOULD I GET THE GST?

Well, my exhaust was measured today and it came out to 3 inches from the catalytic converter back. Currently, i'm trying to find a downpipe online that goes to the catalytic converter. (One nice 3 inch pipe)

Now, about my BOV...I found a shop that is going to find a 1g BOV for me and install it...He is going to charge me 90 bucks for everything...Yes, it would be cheaper getting it myself, but i really don't know how to install the 1g properly...This is a race shop that specializes in eclipses, so i'll pay the extra few bucks and have him do it right. Realisticly, i'm still saving money instead of buying a new one and the guy is putting it on for me...

Also, this guy i know has a boost gauge laying around at his house he is giving me tomorrow. (Apparently it's expensive) He got it at a dealership he works at. (They had to take off aftermarket parts) He said it's one of the boost gauges that are just black when the car is off, so it's digital or something...Who knows, but it's free...I also have no idea how to install these...Any thoughts?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Google is your friend : )

Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 PM

lol okay i basically inherited my gst from my dad .The first person to own this car was obviously a bad driver due to the glazing of the flywheel. 1200 dollars at the dealership and all maintenance done at the dealership. I get the car and pay 6500 for it 5 years ago. I install boost gauge, air/fuel gauge, everything's going good. Shift light, still going good ,manual boost controller bumped up the boost to 15! now she's starting to move.I looked at the maintenance schedule and see the timing belt at 79,000 at 83,000and a few i'm cruzin down the street when my motor just dies no pops ,bangs, knocks nothing i get fuel ,i got air ,i got spark ,hmmmmm **** no compression wth happend to my car . So i start pulling the head off in September of 2007, and i find that all my valves in my head are trashed. Then i pull the timing belt and find that it had just let go and did the balance shaft belt so i get the head stepped up a little and fresh feira valves new seats some fresh parts and and 400 dollars later . its January of 2009 and, i just got my balance shaft belt timing belt timing belt tensioner installed while the car sat i sold my 17'arashis and now it sits on four steel wheels. i don't even have the stocks any more. So i got it running for about three whole days , till all those seals in the turbo that didn't get lubed , yeah they went and now its time for a turbo. i have a open thread on it right now at what a turbo costs. so all in all i have about 2000 dollars into the car and will i ever get rid of it ? Never because this car has been part of my life and my dads since 99 and is the car worth owning . Well lets say there is nothing as satisfying as laughing at Hondas, Acuras ,smoking mustangs ,Sentras , Neons , Thunderbirds and on and on. t isn't a Mclaren f1 its some thing different its a mixture of ,balance ,style ,speed ,class,and a really fun car to drive plus the ladies love em at least mine it gets looks , and middle fingers at 130mph so find another $7,000 car that lays down a reliable 14 second 1/4 mile time and i will show you a boosted pos honda .Needless to say, i love my 98 eclipse gst Spyder

Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 PM

Every story i hear about a turbo eclipse is something breaking, lol....It really makes me not want to mod it, because i don't want anything to go wrong within the 5 months i have left of being here...(So confused)

Maybe I'll just make it look awesome and not race, lol. (Boost gauge, clean wheels, BOV, good stereo) This way, it turns heads and sounds good, lol.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

2slow, you need to type with some correct grammar. Reading your post was really hard.

Honestly, he even said the reason why the car was unreliable for him. The car was owned by a moron that couldn't drive, and probably beat the **** out of it. That happens.

Modding the car will obviously shorten the life of a few things, but as long as you take care of it, it shouldn't give you a problem.

Also, 2slow. The timing belt wasn't the one that went. The balance shaft gave out and took the timing belt with it. Thats why you are supposed to do BOTH, or eliminate the balance shaft.

Oh, and the thieves did you a favor by stealing your stuff it sounds like. Thank God you didn't put those ghastly tail lights on your car.

Just so you know, age isn't always a reflection of the person. I am 18, don't own a car right now, and can drive a stick perfectly. Why does his age have to be a factor? Why can't he just be a ****ty driver? Ergh....