2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Should I paint then sell or just sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Default Should I paint then sell or just sell?

I have a 98 Eclipse that I want to sell (GS-T). However it needs a paint job. My question is, should I get the car painted first then sell it? Would the increase in value of the painting offset the cost of getting the paint job? I know I haven't post pics, but believe me, the car needs a paint job.

Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Default RE: Should I paint then sell or just sell?

Cant help ya there mate, if it was me car i'd paint it up cuz i love the eclipse and keep it, theres people who might buy it like that to paint them a custom color, theres people who'd buy it repainted....

Old 06-16-2007, 01:54 PM

This is a trickey scenario that I myself and facing.
For a good quality paint job (back to factory color) and have it done right, would run about $1,300.
But the problem is you would face a hard time getting it back in a sale. It would probally help you to the tune of around $600. Anytime "New Paint" is in an ad, ppl tend to think it was wrecked.
If you sell it unpainted, it looks ugly and not as attractive to your buyer.
Even though its an Eclipse, your buyer might not be a younger guy who wants to haul ***, you run the chance of someone older looking for a nice looking, reliable car for either themself, or their son.
If mom or dad chooses, then it has to look nice.

See the dilemma?

Old 06-16-2007, 02:18 PM

agreeing with josh one thing is that if u paint it most of the time the value of the car goes up. just let peeps know that it wasnt in an accident (if it wasn't). then peeps would pay more for it and it would get more attention. oinly way i can see not paintin is if the paint job costs a buttt load of money

Old 06-17-2007, 02:04 AM

well for me i just dont like to sell crap.. also if its bought from u privately the dude probably knows where u live and beef you if u lie about damages prior lol.. my car getting a paint job then going on for sale. that the decision i went. just because i like to sell it in the best condition i can. But if your struggling with money. sell it as is. If your balling with money. lol BALL out. You might end up liking the car more and keeping it... Just incase u dont get n e buyers

Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 PM

If you can't make up the cost of the paint job, then do not do it. It's simple economics.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 PM

If you cant sell a GST for more than 1300, its likely that its trashed... or your parents are siblings and you are a RETARD. Its not hard dude, slap some paint on it and call it a day. Itll even out in the end.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Joshewuhh

For a good quality paint job (back to factory color) and have it done right, would run about $1,300.
where the hell are you from, for a good quality paint job from the shop i work at, my boss would charge around 3-4 grand for factory color, including sanding and prepping. maybe if you want to prep it yourself and have it so the painter just rolls it in the booth and sprays it it would cost around a grand, but that price is kinda on the cheep side

Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: estraw

ORIGINAL: Joshewuhh

where the hell are you from, for a good quality paint job from the shop i work at, my boss would charge around 3-4 grand for factory color, including sanding and prepping. maybe if you want to prep it yourself and have it so the painter just rolls it in the booth and sprays it it would cost around a grand, but that price is kinda on the cheep side
I keep forgetting a work at a dealership with a body shop

Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

id say a paint job would end up costing you about $2000. Thats for a decent one. You could probably get one cheaper from Maaco . But i wouldnt. And that new paint job is not gonna bring the value of the car up more than you just payed on it. So id say just sell it as is if you want to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Should I paint then sell or just sell?