2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

situation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Default situation

okay guys, i need some help... i have a kid at my work who talks about going to tech school and paying 27grand on school and how he knows more then me.. so i am not trying to make him feel dumb or anything, but we got into numbers, upgrades and all that stuff, and i just want hime to see for himself that what he has learned is inaccurate.

i was wondering if we can get numbers on a few things....

stock boost on a

1995-1999 gst/gsx
and newer or older model..EVO's
and a 2006/2007subaru sti

then i would like to know the amount of boost the stock internals can handle on each of the cars... (with supporting mods... so that means just flat out, how much can the stock internals hold...

and also, how much hp these cars can hold on stock internals (roughly)

i would really appreciate it, because he says that since he went to school and i didnt that i dont know my ****... lol... and he states that any factory stock car will come with a max of 7-8 lbs of boost.. and the internals cannot hold any more boost then that..i told him that my car comes stock with about 11 lbs of boost, and i run 15 on a regular on the time... but i told him that i kinda know my **** about turbo cars and that he is wrong.. he just wont listen... so i need a few more opinions other then my own for supporting eveidence to help educate him. thanks guys!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: situation

alright lets see. These arnt totally right but they are very damn close. He is incorrect on his thoughts though

1995-1999 Eclipse GST/GSX
Stock Boost=9-12psi depending on wether the BCS is removed and all cars a alittle differnt but id say min 9psi
Max Boost= Not more than 15psi on all stock parts since its the fuel system that max's out first. Saying what boost it can handle is kinda poitless, its more what a stock car itself can handle. Internals go more by HP
Max HP= around 400hp but with a good tune you can push it to around 450hp

03-04 Evolution (since i really dont know too much about the 9's)
Stock Boost=Spikes at about 18psi but youll end up at around 15-16psi because of the stock BOV.
Max Boost = Id say around 19psi because youll end up hitting fuel cut without a tune after that
Max HP = i believe the blocks have been proven to handle about 550hp on stock internals without a problem daily driven

I dont know much about the STI. I know they only handle about 450hp without having to upgrade the internals. But im not sure on stock boost. It might be about the same as the evo.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 AM

i ran 18psi on a stock1g motorforever with no problems, and on weekend out playing i cranked that one to 25 on race fuel. a 95-99 can probly take almost as much
7-8 psi is all a pile of **** honda can handle before it blows up.
that just goes to show you learn from hands on, not from a school, certifications dont mean jack **** to me except it shows your a dumbass for having to pay to supposedly learn something that you still cant get the concept of.
my talon i have now is all stock internals and i run it at 18psi

Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 AM

okay, i would like to know though... with supporting mods..... intake, headers, turbo, ehxaust, intercooler, dumppipe,downpipe,injectors,exhaust,tune,plugs,fue l pump,..... whatever..... what is the max psi pressure that the stock internals can hold.... i just was wanting a rough estimate.... i was figuring it might be around 20-22 on my gst... would that be close to correct for stock internals and all necessary upgrades? i know there is some sort of figure for it that is possible. but so far thanks for the info guys!!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 AM

and yeah, when i had all my mods on my car.. i started to run around 17-20 psi... and my car and turbo have held up just fine.... he told me that i was full of shyt and my car could never handle that.... i tried to reason and say a N/A car would only be able to handle 7-8 psi on stock internals... but that alot of stock turbo cars can far exceed that... especially dsm.. and evo's. he just doesnt believe me. i have learned more from, working on cars all my life, and motorcycles, and going to FREE autoshop in highschool. and living with a mechanic.. he just needs to realize it is better to have the hands on.. and street smarts... then to read a book. i have done every mod to my car and all the maintenance... and also worked to rebuild my brothers tryck, and studied my stuff... i think i at least kinda know wtf i am talking about ya know?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

well like racer said, he ran 25psi on race gas. It really depends on your tune and the octane fuel as to what psi you can run on the stock block. The better the tune, the less chance of detonation. I have heard of people running in the high 20's on psi with stock internals. But i think somewhere around 24-25psi is where i would call it quits with this block.

Maybe your friend who is in automotive school just hasnt gotten to compression ratio's yet . Because thats what separates a turbo car from a non turbo car. Is the strength of the internals, and the CR. The lower the CR, the more boost it will be able to take with detonation. However the lower the CR, the less power you get. So its a bit of a trade off. Ussually turbo engines will have lower than 9.0 for CR and non-turbo will be higher than 9.0

Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 AM

As Racer said... Ive been running at least18psi on (what I assume to be) a pretty stock 1g motor. Though... from what Ive learned here thus far.... the internals on mine may not even be stock...

Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM

It all depends on the turbo also... You can run 18 lbs on a 14b turbo and you wont be putting the stress on the motor if you were running 18 lbs with a 20g.. Theres a lot in that question that could be looked at.. I wouldnt try to argue who knows more, just take what you both know and use that...

Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 PM

Well.. in which case... as always... considering TE has told me that my motor is from a 1g, and that I know theres a hybrid on there... did my internals get changed? Is it likely that they were?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM

ok i need help how can i get my gst to run 18-20 psi like you guys, the only mods on it are tein suspension, blitz bov, tanabe racing madallion 80mm inlet to 100mm outlet, and pretty soon a k&n fipk intake filter (unless you guys have a better street legal alternative)

Quick Reply: situation