2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

SMOKE... HELP NEEDED QUICK

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Default SMOKE... HELP NEEDED QUICK

so i bought this car a week ago friday, and according to the vendor, changed it to a long block in the motor, new head gasket, took to shop in order to fix oil leaks... well.. its a 95 gst eclipse... supposedly 2000 miles on the new motor, and when i saw and test drove the car, it was fine, perfect if u ask me... it has a blow off valve, cat back, high performance exhaust and intake, and manual boost controller... now yesterday night, i turn on the car and a huge amount of smoke came out of the tail pipe... this startled me as it never did that... so i came home and told my dad today, he said it was probably the head gasket leaking... now.. its not clearly blue smoke out the exhaust... buuut its spitting out oil... and the odor is that of oil... so yea i kno its burning oil... anyone have any idea with it might be... i mean it still hauls ***... only now it blows out huge chunks of oil when i sorta press hard on the gas... ive never floored it...

PLEASE HELP

Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Default RE: SMOKE... HELP NEEDED QUICK

sounds like some piston rings to me....either that or valve stem seals.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 AM

hmm so ur sayin that its prob not even the head gasket...

ok lets assume, the people who sold the car to me, put ionno some additives to keep this car from doin the smoke thing until sometime later... plus... ionno if this has anything to do with it.. but i noticed it did that after i pumped 87 from the cheapest gas station... id say $35 from arco, and $5 from a local no name station...

Old 06-21-2006, 05:38 AM

I know this has nothing to do with your oil problem, but...why run 87 when the thing needs PREMIUM fuel? You only save like $5 on a fill anyway. But back to the subject...it DOES sound like a ring issue...get it checked out

Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: slipmetal

ok lets assume, the people who sold the car to me, put ionno some additives to keep this car from doin the smoke thing until sometime later... plus... ionno if this has anything to do with it.. but i noticed it did that after i pumped 87 from the cheapest gas station... id say $35 from arco, and $5 from a local no name station...
[sm=chairshot.gif] dont ever, EVER put 87 in your car again, that is unless you want to destroy your engine Yoiu car must have 93, well actually at least 91 but most places offer 93, and why not just get the little bit extra. And as far as the black smoke, thats about as common in DSM's as you can get. Almost all of them burn oil due to the turbo. Some more than others. Also your car does have a boost guage right?

Old 06-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Do a compression test. It could be the headgasket or rings or some way oil would be getting in the engine.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:57 PM

im gonna say its not the head gasket, otherwise you would have a lot of white smoke.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM

ok... thanks 98MitsGSX, ill look into it, which i think it is as well...

TheEngineer- hmm, may i ask why not 87 on a premium only motor?...
its not throwing black smoke, but alot of white/blue smoke... it spits out oil though, like sprinkles, but not alot...

when i got the car, it wasnt throwin any smoke...
i do have a boost gauge... hmm question though... normal driving, i run on 20-10 vaccuum, then on like 1-2 gear, when i drive harder than usual, it raises up to 4-5 boost...
on 3-5 gear, it goes up to 9 boost max...

sebba- im gonna do the compression test, thanks

jeffisdecenttttt- well... technically it is alot of white/bluish smoke.... sooo....

Old 06-22-2006, 04:37 PM

you NEVER run 87 on a turbo'd car, period. the difference in higher and lower octane is the flamability, 93 octane will burn MORE of the fuel used because it's more flamable, when you use a lower octane not as much fuel is burned and it gets recirculated into the engine (not a good thing). and even with 93 octane after you get to about 12-13lbs of boost it's a good idea to get a catchcan so that most of the residue that is not consumed durnig the combustion process is not circulated into your intercooler piping, intercooler, and back into the intake.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

with these turbo motors they require that you have a higher octane fuel because it will eliminate detonation and also with the higher compression ratio also it requires a higher octane

Quick Reply: SMOKE... HELP NEEDED QUICK