Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Smoking Issue

white-coolant
blue-oil
black-fuel

Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 PM

Alright, I was able to perform the dry compression test today, but not the wet. I need to go to school soon so I'll get to it this weekend. Here are the results:

1 - 138
2 - 127
3 - 155
4 - 168

Now, I did the test twice just make sure I didn't do it wrong the first time and I got the same results both times. I also noticed a couple things while I was out there working on the car. First, when I initially took out the spark plugs, I noticed that there was oil around the washer and the threads of the spark plug for cylinder 1. There wasn't any oil on any of the other plugs. Second, after I performed the test the first time, I started the car up again and immediately it started to smoke. And it did have a blue hue to it so I was wrong about the white smoke. That didn't surprise me, what did was when I took the spark plugs out, smoke start billowing out of cylinder 2, and only cylinder 2. And since it had the lowest compression, I think that's where the problem is at.

One more thing, while I was doing the test it seemed like my gas pedal would go all the way down to the floor quicker than I thought it would. I took a closer look and I noticed that I can pull my gas pedal up from it's rest position by a couple of inches. Is that normal? Or does it need to be adjusted?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Number two is low but not horrible. When you do the wet test and if it jumps a lot on cylinder two then it has a ring problem.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM

I finally got around to doing the wet compression test over the weekend. The compression went up significantly for cylinders 1 and 2, and they only went up about 10 psi for 3 and 4. I don't have the exact numbers with me because I'm at work, but for 1 and 2 the compression went up by about 30 psi.

So if a ring problem is the case, what am I looking at for repairs? Are the rings something that can be replaced or am I going to need to rebuild my engine? If they can be replaced without a rebuild, roughly how much money am I going to need to spend to get them replaced by a mechanic? I would like to rebuild the engine now but I just don't have the money to do it. At this point, I just need to get the car running.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Your gonna be looking into rebuilding the whole bottom end, do u have a 7 bolt or six?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 PM

Greeaat...

It should be a 7 bolt. The guy I bought it from had put a rebuilt GSX engine in there 55,000 miles ago, or so he says. He didn't mention anything about a 6 bolt swap so I'm pretty sure it's still a 7 bolt.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

I personally would find a six bolt build it up and run the engine you have till it blows up.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Yeah, I just don't want to drive around with smoke billowing out of the exhaust. So I don't know, but thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it. You sound like you know what you are talking about, would you mind if I PMed you if I have any questions?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DrumMaster

Yeah, I just don't want to drive around with smoke billowing out of the exhaust. So I don't know, but thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it. You sound like you know what you are talking about, would you mind if I PMed you if I have any questions?
Yeah sure

Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: DrumMaster

Alright, I was able to perform the dry compression test today, but not the wet. I need to go to school soon so I'll get to it this weekend. Here are the results:

1 - 138
2 - 127
3 - 155
4 - 168

Now, I did the test twice just make sure I didn't do it wrong the first time and I got the same results both times. I also noticed a couple things while I was out there working on the car. First, when I initially took out the spark plugs, I noticed that there was oil around the washer and the threads of the spark plug for cylinder 1. There wasn't any oil on any of the other plugs. Second, after I performed the test the first time, I started the car up again and immediately it started to smoke. And it did have a blue hue to it so I was wrong about the white smoke. That didn't surprise me, what did was when I took the spark plugs out, smoke start billowing out of cylinder 2, and only cylinder 2. And since it had the lowest compression, I think that's where the problem is at.

One more thing, while I was doing the test it seemed like my gas pedal would go all the way down to the floor quicker than I thought it would. I took a closer look and I noticed that I can pull my gas pedal up from it's rest position by a couple of inches. Is that normal? Or does it need to be adjusted?
does anyone have an answer for this cause my gas pedal does that as well.

Quick Reply: Smoking Issue