2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Some more info please, loweing my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Default Some more info please, loweing my car!

Hey guys,
im planning on buying this package this week, and i need to know how much of a drop i will get.

http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/4961

http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/4962

http://www.cardomain.com/item/EIB43560?vq_id=none

do i need to do any other modifications (chamber kit, ect.) so i dont **** anything up? or can i just ride like this?
are they adjustible? if so how? how low can i go?
please tell me as much as you can,
Thank you...
Serge

Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Some more info please, loweing my car!

The page you listed tells you the drop is approx 2 inch front and rear.
as for needing anything else.
You wont need anything else,
however anytime you lower your car, it will decrease your camber. (add negative camber...) You can ride like this, and with only a 2 inch drop it shouldnt affect your camber or toe to any extent that a good alignment cant fix. (even though your camber is fixed from the factory, there should be enough slop in the factory setup so that it can be persuaded to move a little bit. However this may not be the case, and you may end up running more negative camber. Though it shouldnt affect your tire wear too much, they will wear faster than before. Keep your eyes on them.
You may want to go ahead and get a camber kit, Ingalls makes some of the best I know of, also you should check with roadrace, I am not sure if they make them, but they might.
No, they are not adjustable, they are just shorter springs.
You will need to get a spring compressor (you can rent one from advanced auto, or oreilly) to remove, and re-install your springs (you will have to do this even though you are replacing your shocks, and springs, because you will need the top hat, and the bump stop off the factory ones) I know already that there are other ways to remove the spings without a spring compressor, but its not safe at best, so i didnt mention it.
Also, When you remove the bump stops, I recommend cuttin them in half, and re-installing them (though this is trivial, it will give you more travel, and shouldnt affect your shocks at all)
also, dont bother to re-install the dust boot. It is helpfull, no doubt, but completly un-neccessary, I have never seen anyone not run them, and mess up their shocks, so you should be fine.
since this is your first lowering job, take your time, look at what you are trying to accomplish, and dont just use brute force if you dont have too.
Lets see, am I missing anything guys?

Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 AM

I have to disagree about those shocks on a 2" drop. There have been a lot of short lived GR-2s on 2" drops. If you want to lower your car lower than 1", I have to recommend KYB AGXs. They are the less priced of the others like Tokico and Koni. Those GR-2s are basically aftermarket, stock replacements.
I'll stress the importance of aftermarket camber kits too. With our suspension geometry, we get negative camber very easily. An inch drop will allow the "slop" to adjust for the slight negative camber, but after that, 9 times out of 10, a camber kit is required.
I also don't recommend daily driving a car with the negative camber that a 2" drop will give you...which is approximately going to be in the 2 degree range, give or take .5 degrees....reason being that you will have a less of a contact patch on all four wheels in a straight line. So, if it rains or you happen to run onto a patch of loose dirt or gravel on the road, you could lose control.

Yes, you can get what you linked us to above like soundcolor stated and he has valid points, but I will stress more aggressively about getting front and rear camber kits and getting shocks that can more easily handle the constant stress of being lowered 2". An inch drop, the GR-2s can handle, anything more and it's a given that they will wear out fast and leave you no choice but to buy new ones in a short period of time.
Just know that folks before you have already been there and done that, to include myself. Do it right the first time so that you won't have to buy the AGXs/ Koni's/Tokico's, new tires, and the camber kits later IMO. Save up for the complete setup, you'll save time and money in the long run...you also won't have to worry about it while you're driving down the road.
If you want adjustability, you'll have to get a set of coilover kits or real coilovers. Either of the coilover sets will help with load balancing too. I think that's the best part about them + other reasons, but that's the big one for me.

Oh yeah, you about summed it up Soundcolor[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 AM

agreed. 100%
I was unsure if the ones he posted were shortened shocks like the agx'x or not,
You are deffiniatly going to want those. Save yourself some frustration later on, get what you have to have now, and there will be less headache down the line. negative camber is great at the track, but expensive on the street.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

AGX arnt shortened shocks, they just allow for adjustablility and are able to handle the extra stress of lowering springs

Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 AM

I waited to get a camber kit, and I spent an *** load of money on tires on a 2" drop.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 AM

that's true, witha lower stance on your car your tires will ware a lot more than they normally did.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 PM

I do recommend Neo Gen Tires by nitto... If you do drop your car and don't put a camber kit on. Those tires wore out nicely even with my camber being way off, they drove great in the rain. I think I had those on for about a year with a horrible camber. Just make sure you use proper tire pressure.