2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

speedometer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Default speedometer question

heres my scenarion,since ive gotten my car my speedometer hasnt worked,my rpms,boost,fuel,oil,temperature,work perfectly,my car even reads the miles as they go up,but i have never seen how fats im going,and my speed sensor is perfect nodes come up forr it,is my speedometer just messed up?should i just buy a new one?i took it apart today and i saw its all electrical,thats my next step any suggestions

Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Rob
Banned
Default RE: speedometer question

Probably the gear is broke in the tranny.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 AM

I'd suggest finding a speedo from a junkyard to be sure it's not the actual gauge too. It's the easiest thing to replace. Since the speedo is electronic, there are three things that can affect the speedo. The gauge, ECU, and gear that is located on the tranny.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM

that gear in the tranny?is it replacable?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 AM

ya but you have to tear your trans apart to replace it

Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 AM

Not necessarily. I can get to mine without removing anything. I just have to make sure to have my handy dandy magnet close by or magnetize my tool before removing the bolt that secures it. Just as long as the battery is removed, you should be able to get at the gear fairly easily....unless you're a big guy and just can't get your hand and arm in there.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 PM

update,so i got my speedometer in and its in way better condition than the one i have,i got it from some guy on dsmtrader,and only paid 50 bucks,and still my speedometer didnt read,so heres my dilemma some mechanic there that usually works on my car ,said he would have to check all the wires that connect to the speedometer and he said it might be expensive,should i do it?or does anyone else any suggestion

Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

i think you should first look into the gear in the tranny if you feel comfortable try it. Because it sucks paying someone to look for a problem. You might end up paying and then he wont even find it. I mean electrical wiring is pretty easy to check. Just trace them

Old 04-04-2008, 07:23 PM

what are these gears in the tranny called exactly?and are they expensive

Old 04-05-2008, 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Gstfat

what are these gears in the tranny called exactly?and are they expensive
There is a single cylinder that is connected to a molex plug which goes to the ECU for the RPMs and speed. On the other end is a gear that connects to the tranny. That's the gear we're talking about. It is bolted down with one bolt and it's in a tricky place. I suggest connecting a magnet on your ratchet extension or be ready to look for it if it drops. Another trick to keeping the bolt locked in place is taking a piece of paper and setting it in front of the socket opening and as you are pushing the socket down onto the bolt, the paper will slide between the bolt head and the socket. This will secure the bolt until you have lifted it high enough to grab it. Works everytime for me. The gear is also almost directly below the TB, on the tranny of course.

Quick Reply: speedometer question