2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Starting Issues with 97 Eclipse GST

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Default Starting Issues with 97 Eclipse GST

My battery is fully charged. When I turn the key all the lights appear on the dash as normal, it makes clicking noises, but it won't turnover. I can coast it to a start and then the car runs fine.

I thought it might be something electrical, or a starter, or solenoid. What are these symptoms indicating?

Why does my 97 Eclipse not start? What kind of repair and diagnosis am I looking at. I want to do the work myself.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Default RE: Starting Issues with 97 Eclipse GST

Sounds to me like you need to remove your starter and take it to a parts store to have it checked.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Make sure you check your connections down there before removal, it is possible a bad connection is causing your problem but more than likely it's your starter. Don't forget to disconnect your battery first of course, that would be painful.[:@]

Old 06-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Now my car starts. Now I have another issue with electrical.

This is what I did:
I have had my battery tested at 2 batery shops. They told me to put a 12volt 2amp charger on it for 24 hrs. My car still wouldn't start.

I pulled a battery out of another car and my my Mitsubishi started right up. I put the battery that wouldn't start my car in the other vehicle and the other vehicle wouldn't start. This made me think that the battery must be the problem. I put in a new battery-- still under warranty. My car starts up easily.

This is the 3rd 5yr. battery I've put in this car in 3yrs.

What could I check in electrical to see if something is draining it? Everything is stock original. It was in an accident, but no electrical was damaged just radiator and front end. Maybe the body shop didn't put it together properly. What should I check?

Old 06-10-2005, 08:25 PM

There are alot of things that could cause this, but you should check the starter connections. It is a quick way to develop battery problems. They are not meant to to be dicharged and recharged repeatedly, at least not like you would if it were say a cell phone battery. Do you ever notice that you car cranks slower than normal after it sits overnight?

Old 06-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Also you might want to think about having the alternator checked. It could be weak. Not dead yet but getting there.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:04 AM

do you have any type of after market accessories added to the car? hi watt system or fog lights? if wired in properly they will still work but will have a slow drain on the system

Old 06-11-2005, 12:47 PM

These are both very logical causes for your problem. Definately have you alternator checked because not only could it be undercharging, but possibly overcharging. It's an easy thing to have done and to remove. And as Flip91gsx says, if you added anything to your electrical system, even if it is not high wattage, it will drain your battery if you went straight to the battery instead of the accessory wire.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 PM

Another thought, Don't foget to check your ground wires if you did add anything.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Everything is stock. I've added no accessories.

I will check the wires and have the alternator checked. 5yr batteries should not die in 1yr !!!

Quick Reply: Starting Issues with 97 Eclipse GST