2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Steering column.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Default Steering column.?

Aight. I have a leak with a line that is going into the bottom of my steering column.. Its coming out right at the bolt that screws the line into it. Is that just a seal that would have went bad? Or am i lookin at having to replace the steering column? Its parked now for the winter so its not a big deal pulling it out(even though its in a pain in the *** spot).. But it would be nice if it was just a seal problem. What ya think?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Default RE: Steering column.?

I'm not sure what you're looking at or talking about and I'll have to look at mine, but....I'll take a stab in the dark.
Is it power steering related? Is it one of the lines coming from the power steering pump? Is it clutch fluid leaking from the master cylinder? Is it brake fluid leaking from the brake cylinder or ABS lines that go into the brake cylinder? I say those items because they can drip fluid onto that area that you speak of .
Ok, that was my stab. Was I even close?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Kinda.. Its power steering fluid.. I can fill my power steering fluid, and a half hour later, I'll be completely out. Its actually one of the power steering lines that runs into the bottom of the steering column. If you look at the bottom side of your column, you will see a line goin into it. Theres a bolt that screws into it, and right there mine is leaking.. So its coming from that, its not the middle of the line, but its coming right where that line and column meet.. But im wondering if Im gonna have to replace the whole steering column, or is there just a gasket that i can replace to stop that leak..

Old 12-21-2006, 05:06 PM

no one has dealt with this?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM

I looked at mine and I think I know what you're talking about. Is it the one that faces the passenger side? I can't see where the other line goes but it looks like it goes underneath the steering column.
If it's the one that you can easily see, then I would try a new fitting first since they are most likely not as pricey as the column itself, lol. Now, are you sure it's coming from the fitting and not the rubber line? Mine is just secured on the fitting with a factory clamp. If the rubber hose gets dried out it will leak like every other rubber hose. I can't imagine why the fitting would leak unless the previous owner fiddled with it. I would think that you can put thread sealer to cure the leak if it is the fitting that's leaking.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Ya, I first thought it was a line that was leaking. But when I had the car running and filled it up, it was coming right from the joint of that line and the steering column. The one that is leaking is the one that is facing the drivers side. I took the wheel off and thats really the only way I could see it. Otherwise I think im gonna have to go from the top and take the steering column out completly to actually get to it. It looks like its going to be a pain in the *** since Theres really no good way of getting to it.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned

I have delt with this on other cars. It was because the steering rack had major problems and had movement = the pipes started leaking.

Do you have movement in the steering colomn?

Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 AM

I dunno if i Do there.. I know with the motor mounts that I have, I had a problem with a harness that kept popping off. Possibly its moving that to much then?

Old 12-23-2006, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

Ya, I first thought it was a line that was leaking. But when I had the car running and filled it up, it was coming right from the joint of that line and the steering column. The one that is leaking is the one that is facing the drivers side. I took the wheel off and thats really the only way I could see it. Otherwise I think im gonna have to go from the top and take the steering column out completly to actually get to it. It looks like its going to be a pain in the *** since Theres really no good way of getting to it.
Yikes, it does look like a PITA, just looking at it, lol.

So, you're saying that the motor is moving around a lot? If it is actually moving around, I'd say that all four of your motor mount inserts are bad, or atleast two of them. Do you have a buddy that can turn your wheel while you look at the motor and power steering bracket? Anyway, that sucks bro, good luck with that.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Well it doesnt move around a LOT. But when I really get on it, At high rpms is when that harness popped off. I took care of that.. But now sebba's got me wondering . This week im gonna jack it up and start takin parts off, so ill let ya know what I find out..

Quick Reply: Steering column.?