2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Stereo head unit help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Default Stereo head unit help

Hey everyone... I'm a newbie to this forum... so I will thank in advance anybody that is able to help me - THANK YOU!!!

I have a 97 Eclipse GST spyder - stock. I just bought a Jensen VM9512 (which is a single din retractable 7" dvd screen head unit) and a scosche install kit for 95 and Up eclipse's... I was told this would fit my new VM9512 head unit.

which brings me to the help i'm looking for - I am wondering if there are some step by step instructions on how to take out both the stock infinity head unit and the infnity amp that's under my passenger seat. I have the NAV101 thing to install under the seat and the head unit is pretty powerful... so no external amp is necessary.

And also on how to install my new head unit... I searched to see if I could find someone else with a similar question.... but was unsuccessful. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance, Shaun.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Default RE: Stereo head unit help

Welcome abroad... its fairly easy you may have to take the console and the lil cover around the hvac for this...
The hvac one has clips around it, so carefully pry it out... youll see a lot of bolts that hold the shifter console to it... to completely remove the console there are bolts under the ashtrays and on the sides of the console... if youre skilled you wont need to take the whole thing out =) about the amp.... i dunno, ive never had the amp version of the eclipse hehe

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM

its easy. i would just rip out both and rewire new wire to the speakers, i think you'll get better sound that way.

now to take out the head unit, take off the radio/ ac bezel. and youll see a tab on the sides of the radio with 4 screws. unscrew those and the radio comes out. now with the new radio's harnes, splice that into the adapter harness you bought (or should of bought). one end will connectto the newradio and the other to the factory harness to unplugged from the OEM radio. now if your going to rewire new wire to the speakers, run the wire first from the speakers all the way under the carpet to the dash and out by the radio's hole in the dash. connect the +/- wires to the properwires on the harness on the new radio(they should be labled on the harness telling you which speakers its for) and then put the radio into the dash with the scosche dash adapter for the radio, and screw it back in. and thats it.

im sorry it sounds kind of confussing but thats the only way i could easily explain it. it really is simple once you get into it. theres alway getting some friends who know a little bit about it to help out or just take it to a installer if you think its over your head. just remember, NEVER EVER EVER cut out a harness. just buy the 15 buck adapter for your car. if you do, you will regret it and kick your self later.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 AM

wow.... quick response time around these forums... that's great help guys. Thanks again so much!

This is my moving forward plan... I'm not sure about the adapter harness....???? (any chance you could try to find me one... or point me in the right direction TJbiker???)

The head unit and scosche thing should arrive either at the end of this week or beginning of next... so i'll hold off ripping anything apart until I get the stuff...

when i do... I'll giver a go... and if I get stuck I'll repost - but the adapter harness is curious....

Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 AM

Is this what I'm looking for TJ Biker????
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ECLIPSE-16-PIN-WI...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks again...

Shaun

Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 AM

OR maybe this one??? haha thanks TJ
http://cgi.ebay.ca/INFINITY-95-07-RA...QQcmdZViewItem

I've never installed a stereo before...

Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 AM

OH... TJ... you da man... I think i just bought the right one.... check it out... BUT I already bought it... ooops... I hope this is the RIGHT ONE.... but it looks like it. I"m not an expert on stereo stuff.... but I'm a pretty smart guy, heck I even have a university degree, and i'm feeling good about the purchase... I think it's the right one.

Thanks TJ BIKER, just confirm this is the adapter you are talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Car-Stereo-Radio-...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks in advance,
Shaun

Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 AM

I have got all the stuff now - and have looked over the instructions... and i think i can do it... I have two questions though...

1. where do I connect the "mute" wire for the bluetooth function?
2. what do I connect the parking break wire too?

Thanks in advance,
Shaun

Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM

with parking break wire, there is a wire coming from the parking break and you connect it to the positive wire i believe....or you can just connect it to a constant 12v wire. im not sure where the bluetooth wire goes. i would just call your local stereo install shop and ask them about it.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 PM

It is Installed and working great... thanks for all the tips, especially TJ with the whole harness thing... i didn't realize there was such a thing and it made the wiring very simple and easy....
thanks I'm gonna go roll around and enjoy my new sounds....
Thanks Shaun

Quick Reply: Stereo head unit help