2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Strange Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Default Strange Clutch Problem

Four weeks ago my master cylinder went out on me. When I tried to start the car, it would lerch forward, really hard to get in gear, etc.

I had the master and slave cylinder replaced. I also had the clutch adjusted. I go and pick up the car and the clutch feels like new. I drive it around alittle bit and everything is fine. I go to the gas station and by the time I pull back into my driveway, I can't get the car in gear and the clutch feels different.

I turn the car off, and turn it back on a few minutes later. The car was in first gear with the clutch in, the car starting moving like it was in gear and I was going 10 miles an hour down the road.

So I barely get it back to the mechanic's, the clutch started slipping in 4th gear with like 25% throttle.Okay...wtf?

This morning I go to the mechanic's before they open and I drop off another clutch that was in the car when I got it, and I decided to start the car and see if it was still doingwhat it was doing. Now the car is fine, doesn't move with the clutch in, shifts easy, doesn't slip, and drives pretty nice. I dropped the car off saturday nightso no one has worked on it or anything.

I just want to know if anyone has heard or experiencedsomething like this before. Right now I just need the car to make it to a dealership so I can trade this s*** in!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Default RE: Strange Clutch Problem

Dam that is werid...I HAVE NO CLUE

Old 05-23-2007, 05:35 AM

Sounds like air in the system. Have him bleed the system again.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Good call SPinz... That would be my only guess.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 AM

Does your pedal get hard if you pump it up? If so, that's the 2g pedal "pump up". If not, I agree with Spinz4.

Curious...why do you start your car in gear?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 AM

The throw out bearing might be bad.. Ive never heard of that many problems right after replacing the clutch.. What kind of clutch did you put in?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 PM

Nope the pedal does not get hard if I pump it.

The clutch is a ACT2100 with street disk and fidanza lightweight flywheel. the clutch has been in since this fall, but the master and slave cylinders were just replaced.

I don't usually start my car with it in first gear until this problem started. I put it in first gear then start the car because it is really hard to get it into gear with the car on, it usually takes both hands to get into gear. If I start the car with it in gear, its just one less gear I have to wrestle with. Is it bad to start the car with it in gear?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM

No, it's not bad to start the car in gear on a normal day, lol. In your case and as you can see, it will wear down your clutch fast ince it's not fully disengaging. That's a lot of pressure and heat put on the tranny just to start it.
Cylinders were replaced, huh? Here's what I would do at this point. I would remove all of the fluid in the cylinders and then flush the system with Dot 3 fluid..Pennzoil or whatever you feel like putting in. Give yourself an hour by yourself to do this...mind you, that's a very long window.
That's what I would do only because, I think people that get paid to do jobs like this don't pay attention to what they are doing after they've eaten lunch.

..or just have them bleed it, lol. I would tell them your issue too of course.