2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

STUMPED!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Default STUMPED!!

aight, here's the prelude to my problem, have 99 eclipse n/a. took head off to change timing belt, head gasket, water pump, idler, tensioner pully, tensioner. got everything good to go, must have turned something when installing, timing was WAYYY off but it did start right up. took timing belt off and put it back on, everything was lined up PERFECT, however now there is no fuel getting to my engine, changed the fule filter, fuel pump, and FPR.... still nothing, there is pressure to the fuel line to the fuel rail so i'm just completely LOST and stuck. anybody wanna take a stab at it???? could it be a missing connection on the wiring harness somewhere? help please!!!!

Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Default RE: STUMPED!!

Are you getting spark? Check your CPS, the plug may have gotten bumped. Don't forget to check the Fuel relay too. Pull it out and physically check it.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:31 AM

ok, whoa lol im pretty familiar w/ 2gnt dsm but... help me out, what'sthe CPS? yes it's getting spark, when i pore fuel into the actual intake it fires right up. is the fuel relay an actual relay in the fuse box? i dind't think that would be it b/c when it turn the car to the "on" position i can hear the fuel pump working and i'm getin pressure in the fuel line to the fuel rail.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 AM

If I remember correctly, the fuel relay is on the firewall, along with ASD, and tranny relay (if you had an automatic).
The CPS (crank position sensor is located along the block. I don't remember where it's exact location is, but I'll look it up for you. It's good to have an Avenger and Eclipse manual sometimes, lol. Especially since both cars have the 420a Give me a bit and I'll get that info for you bro.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:23 AM

Ok, bud. There are two sensors that help determine when and which injector to fire. The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS or CKP<---don't ask, lol) and the Camshaft Position Sensor (Cam sensor or CMP). They also provide info for the ECU to fire which spark plug and when. Since fuel is the issue for you, those two can be your culprits or the fuel relay found on the firewall.
Here's some info on the firewall relays from the sister site.
http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_554757/tm.htm

Oh and here's the location of the sensors.
CPS is located just above the oil filter.
The cam sensor is located on one end of the cylinder head, closest to the firewall, and by the valve cover...so, look just below the valve cover and to the rear. It's round with two bolts holding it on and the harness.
Do you have a manual to help do the checks for the sensors?
Hope that helps bud.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Your getting fuel to your fuel rail? How bout the injectors? Did you not get the injectors slid back in there good or plugged?

Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say it's not the injector plugs if all 4 aren't getting fuel but it can't hurt to check them. The fact that you did the timing belt and whatnot says you were in the area of the CPS so check IT'S plug you may have knocked it off, or taken it off and overlooked reconnecting it.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:40 PM

well the only reason that i thought it was something to do w/ fuel and not a relay is b/c when i pore fuel into the intake manifold it fires right up until that fuel is gone. and when we were checking for a pinched line we sprayed air into the line down by the fuel filter both towards the engine and into the gas tank, when we did that the car stared up beautifully and idled for about 3-4 mins then shut off and is now the way it is but i'll check the CPS and the CAM sensor. i don't think it's the injectors b/c i never took them out or off, we took the head off with the intake manifold connected and never touched anything on it besides taking the throttle body off. but thanks for the advice i'll let you know how it goes.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:41 PM

OK, ijust got back from checking everything... the CPS is definatly plugged in and we have/had no reason ton unplug it, so i don't think that's it. . . i couldn't find the CAM sensor to save my life... i did find a plug that was on the head on the right side just below the valve cover that took 2 bolts to secure it to the head but it had like 3 or 4 plugs... and that was completely suecure, it had a lil red piece i had to take out of the sensor just to unplug it. after examining it i did find a plug off of the wiring harness that is NOT plugged in, but i can't find a port to plug it into anywhere, it had 2 holes that go into it... i'll try to get a pic or 2 to show yall but i dont' think i can get my haands on my digicam until monday.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Do they have a bleeder on the fuel rail like a neon 420a? ive had air lock issues in the fuel system before with them. and had bad problems getting the pump to prime up once the fuel system was open with anything less than 1/4 tank of gas. If you have less than that in the tank it might not prime up.

Quick Reply: STUMPED!!