2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Suggestions on an engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:14 AM
Default Suggestions on an engine swap

How much trouble would it be to swap a 4G64 2.4 liter non turbo engine for a 4G63 2.0 turbo engine? And do I need a whole new computer for my engine? Just figured I'd ask again, since I see there are a lot of new members that have joined recently. Any help would be great

Old 11-20-2004, 12:06 PM
RDA
Default RE: Suggestions on an engine swap

hey FatalJRA. i dont own an eclipse but i am into Mitsubishis and engine swapping. It might cause you a problem because non turbo 4G64 is used on 2wd eclipses, and 4G63 is mainly based on 4wd cars like EVOs, ECLIPSE GSX 4wd. You also might need to change your transmission too. And if you want a really powerfull car, you can also think bout upgrading your engine. Port polish and other mods will cost less and will have less problems. Any ques, feel free to ask

Old 11-20-2004, 06:49 PM

4G63 is mainly based on 4wd cars like EVOs, ECLIPSE GSX 4wd.
HU HUMMM dosn't the same motor that is in the GSX in the GST?? oh and i thought the whole 4X4 thing was in the tranny and transfer case not the motor. correct me if im wrong but it shouldnt matter if the motor itself comes from cars based on a 4X4 drivetrain ive been told you can swap them but some major mods like computers motor mounts stuff like that have to be changed and a GST tranny should fit in the car no problem.

Old 11-20-2004, 07:06 PM
RDA

i guess they use the same engines but just tranny and the transfer case is different. the turbo engine is used on 2wd cars too but not as much as EVOs and GSX. the turbo engine doesnt go well with the 2wd cars. and i said 4G63 is mainly based on cars like EVOs and ECLIPSE GSX, i didnt said that the 2wd cars dont use that engine I also told him that he needs to change his tranny if he will install a turbo engine

Old 11-22-2004, 11:10 PM

Thanks guys, the engine I am considering is a JDM engine and it comes with the transmission for around $2,500. Do you think that this would be a wise investment, or too much in terms of spending to make it compatible? I don't know if I need a whole new ECU and other parts. It's either that or get my engine rebuilt.

Old 11-23-2004, 12:03 AM

the 4g63 turbo motor is not based on 2wd or 4wd. the drive train has nothing to do with the motor. and the only difference between a jdm 4g63 and a us 4g63 is one word on the intake manifold[ cyclone] thats it not worth the extra money imho. you can get a better deal on the motor and tranny

Old 11-23-2004, 12:05 AM

and why do you say that the turbo motor does not go well woth 2wd. brett is running 7 seconds on one.and aniel pagan is running 10 seconds there are alot of cars that are doing very well with 2wd.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:17 AM

I take it that your car is a 2g spyder. Why don't you just turbo that engine?

spydermods

Old 11-23-2004, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I have a 2nd generation 98 eclipse spyder. I would turbo the engine, but I would need to get my engine overhauled because it's burning oil. I also need to replace the clutch. And if that's not bad, I need to replace the weather stripping and the top. Right now all I'm paying for is repairs.[:-] That is why I was thinking of swaping engines instead of doing the overhaul. And I wouldn't need to install an aftermarket turbo, because this engine already has one. I'm still confused though, will a 4G63 turbo JDM engine work with my current 4G64 2wd eclipse? Or should I just do the overhaul and upgrade to a turbo later when I have money?

Old 11-26-2004, 08:55 PM

personally i would do the overhaul, with any mods you would need for the turbo to install later, that way you dont have to worry about if everthing is gonna work right, and you can just bolt on the turbo and ur ready to go......... probly be cheaper that way and it would probly produce more power than the 4g63 cause the engine is bigger.......

Quick Reply: Suggestions on an engine swap