2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

SUPER QUICK, BUT IMPORTANT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Default SUPER QUICK, BUT IMPORTANT!!!!

WILL THE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR FAILING CAUSE THE CAR NOT TO FIRE? IF IT OVERHEATED AND WENT INTO SAFETY MODE OR SOMETHING MAYBE??

Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Default RE: SUPER QUICK, BUT IMPORTANT!!!!

This is so very vague...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

NO IT WILL NOT...

**cleaning up**

Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Ok, i changed the coolent temp sensor because it failed. The car still does not start. It turns over, fires up like timing is off, and shuts down. doesnt fire with starter fluid either. it has spark, compression and fuel. just runs barely and doesnt trottle past 1200 - 1500 rpm. dont know what else could it be. Cam sensor? crank sensor? could either go bad with overheating?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

niether of the sensors will go bad with overheating. I bet the overheating has nothing to do with the problem you have now.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

why do you even bother posting if your not gonna answer the question. All he asked was about his car stalling, get off the caps lock thing already.

Have you checked your timing belt? or the timing marks to make sure it looks correct.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM

THANK YOU!!!! <---

Ok, yeah, timing marks are all good. Belt is brand new. What else to check. What happens when the crank position sensor goes bad?

**cleaning up**

Old 06-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Here's what I'm looking for that has not been stated....
What motor do you have? What have you done already? Tell more about your overheating...have to pull over because steam was bellowing out of your hood or just that you noticed your temp gauge up too high, overheating?
All motors do the same basic thing but the 4g63 (turbo and non-turbo [1st gen only, in the states]) and 420a (non-turbo) do not have the same sensors or electronic devices that keep the motor running...in general.

Yes, if you're referring to the 420a motor the crank and cam position sensors will keep the motor from running, but they will also keep from sending the correct ignition timing. If the motor is on time, then your ignition timing is what's off....crank or cam sensor...crank sensor being the most common on the 420a and 6g73 motors to go bad in ignition issues.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM

420 motor, i believe. 1997 GS. It overheated, steaming from the hood, out of the overflow because the thermostat was malfunctioning and it was pushing through the overflow.

Ran after it overheated. Then all of a sudden, nothing.......... Turns over, wants to fire, but wont. Compression is good. Just starts, chugs and dies. No throttle either. if you gas it, nothing.....

Even when you have head or head gasket probs, you can gas it and get some sloppy rpms......none for me!

Old 06-14-2007, 05:48 AM

What does the coolant temp gauge show when you first turn the car on?
I'm thinking that sensors are fried.

Quick Reply: SUPER QUICK, BUT IMPORTANT!!!!