2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Default Suspension lift

Hey fellas,
I dropped my ride a while back. Since there's no springs specifically made for the spyder, I used the kit for the coupe. As a result I think the car dropped a little too much for my liking - not too mention I bottom out quite a bit. So I was wondering if I could lift it a little bit. If there a quick fix or do I have to by another kit or something? Thanks.

Matthew

Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Default RE: Suspension lift

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy those POS coilovers. when i bought my car it had some on it.........they were terrible, rough ride, bottomed out all the time. Please dont get those!

a cheap fix would be to either buy new Springs or cut your factory ones alittle.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 99madewell

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy those POS coilovers. when i bought my car it had some on it.........they were terrible, rough ride, bottomed out all the time. Please dont get those!

a cheap fix would be to either buy new Springs or cut your factory ones alittle.
NEVER NEVER NEVER cut your stock springs

Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 PM

Cutting springs has been done for a long time. It's not bad to cut them if done correctly and heat is not applied. I'd like to know why you suggest to
NEVER NEVER NEVER cut your stock springs
Though I understand the basis of it, your suggestion is vague. I also understand that if one were to cut too many coils, then they are screwed. If one were to use heat to cut springs, they will be bouncy and "flat".
ORIGINAL: "silvercoupe97"
Read up on this and here too.
There's a thread about this on many sites. This one is just more readily accessible.
Cutting springs is nothing uncommon and will net you the same as buying a lowering spring that has the same spring rate.

As for the OP, what kind of springs and shocks are on your car now? It sounds to me that you got either non-adjustable shocks, low spring rate springs, or both. Give us more info and we can help you better.
BTW, for the Spyders, there are aftermarket shocks and springs. Remember this...FWD 2Gs are lighter than the AWDs and Spyders. Spyders are convertables (I know you know this) and are heavily bolstered in it's chassis. You can't just buy "ebay" type coilovers or springs without knowing their spring rates or doing more research on them.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:11 PM

cutting springs CORRECTLY is much better than those POS'.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:44 PM

I don't think you'll understand. I have eibach pro kit and KYB AGX shocks. The setup is fine. It has juts dropped the car a little too low. I was wondering if there was any kit to lift the car about a half an inch or so. Any ideas or thoughts?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 PM

get a larger tire. Like for example if you have a 215 50 R16, then get 215 55 (or 60) R16

Old 11-12-2006, 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: mtalma

I don't think you'll understand. I have eibach pro kit and KYB AGX shocks. The setup is fine. It has juts dropped the car a little too low. I was wondering if there was any kit to lift the car about a half an inch or so. Any ideas or thoughts?
You are correct, we didn't understand because you didn't tell us that you already had adjustable shocks and good springs

No, you there isn't anything to "lift" that setup. Since I don't know what model AGXs you have for the front and since you didn't say, I will tell you that you should have model number 741042. That shock has a shorter shaft. Yes, it works for all three versions of the Eclipse and Talon, not to forget the Avengers. I would imagine that the fronts are the ones bottoming out since most of the weight is there. I also have to ask if you cut the bump stops. If not, that is another reason you are "bottoming out"...not really, but you are hitting them .5" before it should hit.

Also, getting larger tires won't help the suspension from bottoming out
It may rise the overall height of the car though, but not a lot. It will only serve to throw off the speedo.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:59 AM

no just use the adjustable cup things with the springs you have. It will work fine.

Quick Reply: Suspension lift