2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Default Swap?

Hey everyone im Frost i just got a 97' Eclipse GS burgendy with tan leather interior. So my question is what do you guys think i shoud do with the engine its the 2.0L non-turbo. the valves are bent. do you think i shoud swap it for what engine? whats the fastest engine you can get for my car, price. location. how hard is it to swap. Second question what do you guys thinks i shoud do, I have a 93' Honda del Sol with a 1.6L the H22 engine is the fastes engine for it it will get you down to the low to mid 12s you can get it for about 4 to 5 grand what do you guys think?? Shoot any info you got to me.Thanks

Old 04-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Default RE: Swap?

are the pistons damaged? if not all u need to do is remove the head and replace the valves

Old 04-30-2005, 02:16 AM

i really dont know yet havent looked under the hood that well. It needs a timing belt so i can run it or check it. i forgot my car is auto how slower does it make it? How hard is it to change valves? What do you guys recomend?

Old 04-30-2005, 02:51 AM

well how do u know its bent valves

Old 04-30-2005, 10:55 AM

the thing is i got this car from a homie, and his machanic told him that he had bent valves. Then told him that the reason the car got ****ed up was that he didnt put antifreeze in it. so i dont know what it has really i just got the car yesterday. and im fixin my other one. So what do you think i shoud do ??? I think you know what your talking about DSMTalonAWD51.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:34 PM

my reccomendation is to find out exactly what is wrong with the car before you proceed. If your friend honest and knows what hes talking about? i would never buy a car withoutactually driving it unless i was already planning on and had the money to do an engine swap. if it is only bent valves have the head taken off and replace them. its not a job for the average person, you have to know what you are doing.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:28 AM

hey man i got it for free. and i never paid anyone to fix my car of anything so i kind of know what im doing but i never workd on valves. theres always a first right?

Old 05-03-2005, 01:50 PM

ok well free is good then. Yes there is always a first, but for something like valve replacement a 'first' should be call a friend over whos done it before, watch him, help and learn, then buy him some beer and mexican food. Theres too many little things that can be overlooked even with a manual, you dont want to do it twice, or worse, have a valve drop into your cylinder and destroy your engine (happened to my friend last week because the shop that rebuilt his head made one small mistake)

Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 PM

I wouldn't re use the head if the valves are/were bent. Unless it was completely rebuilt. What you can do to extract a little more power, is drop a 2.4l into it. You'll have to swap a few components, but it will definetly be worth it.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:04 PM

he doesnt need a completely new motor though, his bottom end is fine. he jus needs to replace his valves. If they are bent, he can easily replace them, its not like the head is going to be bad, theres not point in replacing it either.

Quick Reply: Swap?