2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Swapping for a spyder, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Talking Swapping for a spyder, thoughts?

I found someone who is willing to take my 1995 RS project off my hands in exchange for a 1997 GS spyder. It has a new convertible top, new (less than 100 miles) transmission tho Im not sure if its auto or standard he hasnt responded. Id imagine he had a lot of the basic tune-up done while doing the tranny, one would think.

Is there anything specific I should know about these cars? The 4g64 is a completely different animal to me. Does it have a common issue like crankwalk and other such known events? And whats the first thing that you would recommend doing when I have it in my garage?

Mind you looking at the pics, hes keeping his tail lights and rims. Ill be throwin my rims on and hopefully buying new tail lights soon but Ill have my (ugh) chrome altezza tail lights.

Attached Thumbnails Swapping for a spyder, thoughts?-3n03o53le5v15y05r3a6s0971f063a77113be.jpg   Swapping for a spyder, thoughts?-3nb3kc3m65y15z45p2a6s7911413821d21370.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 AM

i own a 97 spyder convertible i just had a new top put on mine in the begining of june 2010 I havent had any problems with my car except for squeaky belts LOL I always make sure i keep up with changing the oil and stuff.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 AM

Oh yea lol well I come from a gearhead family Id definitely stay on top of regular maintenance and tune ups. Im just wondering if theres anything really different I should know about? Ive never owned a convertible.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Well make sure u take care of the covertible top. buy raggtop protectant and cleaner!!! I swear by this stuff the stain stuff works soo good!!! and the protectant is is ****ing awesome It keeps ur top looking new and in good shape and makes it last longer

Old 07-03-2010, 03:05 AM

Hey, if thats the car it looks nice. especially the black top. Well in my opinion,if your in a warm climate go for it. Even if it is an auto. i traded my 96 talon for a 98 spyder and i love it,Although the little things that needed fixing,hail damage. But if it is an auto,make sure to upgrade your end clutch Oh and manually drop the top instead of using the button,save those motors. And plus, 4g64's have potential! good luck

Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 AM

All very good to know! I live in a warm climate 50% of the time lol. new england gotta love it, were either scorching or freezing. Im still waiting to hear back from the guy whether its an auto or stnadard, but either way I wont be makin any adjustments with it anytime soon, the transmission is brand new just got installed around the end of June. But Im wondering things like does the GS spyder come with a factory alarm? How difficult will it be to put subs in the trunk (again, never owned a convertible) anything that would be different from the coupe?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 AM

well mine is a gs, under the hood it says it has a factory installed remote start,Never got the remote for it,BUT yes it should have a stock alarm system. If it doesnt come with a remote for that,go on ebay and spend 15 bucks on the keyless ride remote. I learned the hard way by not knowing it had an alarm, locked the door from inside,came out of work unlocked with my key and all of a sudden lights flashing horn honking.the only way to stop it is to put your key in the trunk lid. The trunk space is half the size of a hardtop,but you are able to put a couple 12's in it. Behind the back seat is where you will find additional "hidden" space to setup your amp(s),I have a 4 channel alpine running the speakers. You might also be able to install a 12 behind the seat so when you open the trunk you wont see anything.
good luck,and anymore info ill try and let ya know!!

Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Awsome, a lot of good information that I find very useful. This will help me especially with the sound system, to help me set it up more optimally. I was also very hopeful on the security.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by gpopppa
Hey, if thats the car it looks nice. especially the black top. Well in my opinion,if your in a warm climate go for it. Even if it is an auto. i traded my 96 talon for a 98 spyder and i love it,Although the little things that needed fixing,hail damage. But if it is an auto,make sure to upgrade your end clutch Oh and manually drop the top instead of using the button,save those motors. And plus, 4g64's have potential! good luck

What do u mean by manually drop the top?? doesnt that cause damage??

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM

Honestly I would think so, itd be like pushing a car back and forth while its in gear. (I accidentaly did that for a minute, I always leave it in neutral since its a project car, the shifter got bumped)

Quick Reply: Swapping for a spyder, thoughts?