2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

tearing it apart...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Default tearing it apart...

okay well today i started tearing down my car to fix it... and i have removed the intake, radiator, headers,exhaust, o2 housing, turbo and a few other things. and i took off the valve cover... but i stopped there and set the cover back on to let it rest...

now my first question is.... what do i use to remove the head bolts... my ratchet heads none of them fit on them snug and i dont wanna strip head bolts...

and i was wondering... what all else do i have to take off to get the head off? intake manifold? fuel rail? cam gears? whatever... i have to take that stuff all off right? so it will be pretty much bare in there... oh, and i realized i really needed a new valve cover gasket...

thanks for everyones help so far, i just have a these little questions... it is crazy seeing my car so bare in the engine...

Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Default RE: tearing it apart...

not to sound like a jack*** but what does your manual say to do?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Just so you know, you would have needed a new VC gasket either way, once the seal on thats broken, its generally useless. Same goes for a lot of seals(gaskets)

Old 07-15-2007, 12:44 AM

i am replacing every gasket i open up.. i am not retarded... and yeah, i could look at the manual but what the manual says.... i tried.... and the things still feels not snug enough... and i dont wanna strip it... so i was wondering if there were any ways anyone knew to prevent this...

i knew i would need a new gasket.,... but didn't realize that my gasket was as torn up as it is.... you would think it would puke oil when i was boosting.. lol

Old 07-15-2007, 03:06 AM

I *think* the head bolts are either a 13 or 14mm

Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 AM

thanks guys... i just talked to my my moms boyfriends... he told me i HAVE TO USE a 12 point 12 mm ratchet.. nothin else fits. not even a regular one.. cuz it is supposed to be as snug as possible on the head... so needless to say i am gonna go buy one today. next i need to buy parts as soon as i get paid...

Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM

when i did my HG i removed the head w/ the intake mani and cams still in there. just need to detatch it, take the head bolts off and then pick it straight up. you technically SHOULD remove the cams to get to the head bolts so you don't have an angle but we just used a universal joint and they came right off. 2 of them on the ends were almost hand tight... it was terrible.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 AM

thanks, and wow.. hand tight... that sucks... i will try to take it off all together. i also heard if i resurface the head i take it off... is this true? i thought it was only if its bad....

okay, and anithr subject... while i have it apart... i need to fix the power steering system.. it leaks like a bitch.... and the pump is gone... i was wondering if i could use steel braided lines for this and if there is a kit for it? or should i just replace it with the factory parts that are bad?

thanks guys... esp RCJ

Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 AM

personally i'd just replace the factory parts.... i'm sure you can get an OEM one fairly cheap.. i priceda new power stearing kit for my 92 accord year and years ago after i was in an accident and it went out... it was like 300 bucks i think for the whole thing.

for the head resurfacing. that is basically only if you have been overheating it and think you may have some warping going on... it's a good idea to do it just for $hits sake but it's not mandatory by any means. i ddin't do mine and mine acutaly DID overheat a copule times but it still ran a LOT better once i got everything replaced.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 PM

okay... well, i am gonna write a list a plan of things i gotta do and when i will get em done. seems like it will help to write down my ideas and be organized... hopefully i can get this thing done how i want it! =)

Quick Reply: tearing it apart...