2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

tinted tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Default tinted tail lights

Well i got some window tint today, the vinyl type stuff. I tried putting it on but its a pain in the *** due to the curve of the light so i gave up for now. I want to do the center section and the orange parts of the lights on my talon. Im just gonna paint the center but what should i do for the orange parts? try to use the tint? i cant find VHT Night shades anywhere so im lost

[IMG]local://upfiles/7199/6A9D6C81464C4C23839EFC3C0E62BB22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Default RE: tinted tail lights

nooooooooooo **** vht! that **** is really difficult to use, and if you want to take it off, youre gonna have to use paint thinner, and there wont be any more shine on your tail lights.
You need to be using a spray on solution to get them to stick. They have it at home depot, and they sell the vinyl there too. Its supposed to be for house windows...They sell a whole little kit for it. It has the solution, a squegee, a different squegee, and some other stuff, i cant remember. it was like 8 bucks for the kit, and 10 for a 10 foot roll of the vinyl

But you cant do it easily without taking the lights off the car. When they ARE off, its incredibly easy.
Just make sure you buy a can of paint thinner and use a LIGHT coat on the lights to get any tiny amounts of dirt and grease, etc off of there

And if you must use vht only use it in a warm area. Like at least 80 degrees. If its cold it will just run off

Old 11-04-2006, 04:10 PM

Name:  IMAG0028.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  77.8 KB

Thats me. the center part is just painted with regular spray paint (not vht)

Old 11-04-2006, 04:22 PM

i have the squeegee/solution kit. But i cant really get it to conform to the lights. Thats my problem, i always get a crease near the middle.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:24 PM

wait so you did it with the lights off the car? how did u do it without getting any creases? does it look weird where the tint ends? like halfway down the light?

Old 11-04-2006, 04:26 PM

no. it looks fine. around the edges i used have a couple small bubbles, but to finish it off, you need to razor the little excess off, but be incredibly careful. You have to really take your time in sqeegeeing it, and you wont get creases around the curves. Just take the lights off the car, and youll realize its a LOT easier

Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 PM

i took the lights off and it is easier but i still cant get it to work. At the edge that goes towards the center of the car, i cant get it to stay on right, i either leave a little excess and i go to trim it, then it wont stick. Or that edge just doesnt stick at all. This is such a pain in the A$$.lol. I've tried like 10 times, my garage floor has so many strips of tint on it.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:51 PM

dont try to trim until the solution is dry. it takes a couple hours, but it will eventually stick...It will pull off easy, but wont slide back and fourth, or fall off. When you squeegee it, make sure youre pushing out as much of the solution as possible.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 PM

wait so how did you do it? Should i just squegee on a a piece that is like 1/4" to big in each direction, leave the edges hanging off, then trim it a couple hours later?

Old 11-04-2006, 10:28 PM

the tint i bought today was like an adhesive back. It was really plasticy/crinkly and didnt like curves. It turned out we had some tint from the same company that was "static" rather than "adhesive back". It still had me use the spray stuff but this tint was much more rubbery and i got it on there, its drying over night then im gonna trim it and check it out

Quick Reply: tinted tail lights