2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Default Tranny ?

Well i finally thought i saved up enough money for a transmission rebuild so i called a flat bed tow truck to bring it to a transmission shop. What i was told so far was that the transmission case was cracked and broken and the oil had drained out. Still waiting on the update on what damaged inside. But i was wondering if this is a common thing and what would it take for something like this to happen.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tranny ?

do you have a 1g. i cant remember. But the 1g trannies are known to break easily.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well hopefully this'll get a stronger trans casing for you.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM

well you would have either had to have something smack it from the out side or inside... I am going to have to go with the second one.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

hey BTW i have a 1g AWD tranny that i am trying to get rid of. Its from a galant VR4. Let me know, i can give you a good deal on it

Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 AM

LOL.. this car as soon as i got it, i spoiled it more than i did myself. It just never returned the favor. Its a 2gen. So far i have just been searching online for junk yard and other sources. Sadly TRE doesn't ship to Canada. Dealer wants 3500 for a new tranny.. Dont remember hitting anything, but i let an old friend who came to visit drive my car unattended. All i told him was not to launch the car and hold the throttle steady cuz of the missfire. A week later is when the car decide to be a ****.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

well like i said i have a tranny that might work. Ill have to do some small research on it to see if it will work on your 2g but i am only looking for $300 for the tranny + shipping and i have the t-case if you need it. I might charge a little extra for that. But like i said i have to do the research. I know that the tranny will fit on the motor, i just dont know if you need the t-case as well because of the splines.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 PM

lol i believe i would need the T case as well in ur situation. But i have a 6 bolt wouldn't it make it easier or is that just wishful thinking. N e who the transmission shop i brought my car to are jerks. I told them i found a transmission alot cheaper than what they found and they wouldn't agree. They said they can't warrantee the work or gaurantee the fit. Therefor they told me to just tow my car back and bring it to another place. I was like wtf.. where the customer satisfiacation service. And since they already took apart the transmission and had my car in there posession till i paid i had no choice. So i have to buy a 1500 used 70k transmission. Along with that nice surprise i found my clutch burnt up. Suspected since i kept driving when the transmission failed. Would like a suggestion i am deciding on another act 2600 but what the diff between 4 puck, 6 puck and street disc?

Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

dont get a puck clutch for daily driving. Your gonna get alot of chatter. Just go with the street disc. Pucks are good cuz they grab really good, but they are rough at daily driving. 2600 is a really good clutch for a DD car. So you have a 6 bolt. DAMN my tranny would have been perfect for you. Cuz i know it would bolt up. Well i guess ill have to wait for the next person that needs one.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:53 PM

Sooo that being said would the 2nd gen transmission not work on a 6 bolt motor. I always thought i had a 6 bolt motor, 6 bolt flywheel. and a 2nd gen transmission. Ahh need some clarification. >.<

Quick Reply: Tranny ?