2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Default Tuning

Ok, I am not going to lie, I have not searched for this topic, but I will. I was reluctant coz I know the tools for tuning very so I didn't know hot to narrow my search down to the set up that I have.

Anyway....

How do I tune using a wideband and an safc? What numbers should I be looking for? What is the process w/o a dyno? I will have someone help me, but I don't want to appear totally ignorant.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tuning

you are looking to try and get the AFR on the wideband to be around 11.3-11.5 while at full boost. Here is a couplegood writeups on doing the setup and tuning it
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/newafc.htm
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/newafcsetting.htm

Once you figure out how to novigate through the menus and what each thing means, they are incredibly easy

Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM

Ok, I never got passed the first few paragraphs on that first link. That really helped.

Super noob question tho. What do they mean by honeycombs and adjusting screw backed out flush?

Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 AM

i think its talkin about the MAS mods. heres the link

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...adjustment.htm

Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

the honeycombs im guessing they are talking about the Air flow meter honeycomb removed. The adjusting screw im not so sure. But on the first link i wouldnt focus on the begining stuff. Those are more examples than anything. You want to focus more on the bottom stuff where they have the tuning tips. But try not to let it confuse you. Its not as difficult as it seems once youve got the basic setup done which is shown in the second link. Here is a quick tip of setting up as far as the order:

1. Install the SAFC (obviously)
2. Complete all the basic setup info which includes the following

- TH points, high and low(usually 35%-75% or 30%-80% will be good)
- Ne Points (these are the rpms points at which you tune) SAFC allows 8 points. Just follow the RRE guide for these
- Setup the menu (follow the RRE settings for these)

3. Tune the device using theHigh throttle and low throttle. Now in this menu all you are really doing is your either reducing or increasing the air flow signal to the ECU.

So lets say you subtract from the signal at 1000rpms in High throttle. That means that when the car is at 1k rpms at a throttle greater than 80% (if thats what you had it set at) then it will reduce the signal by that ammount, thus having the ECU supply less fuel. So there is a direct coorelation of subtracting air=subtracting fuel. Therefore (-) means leaning the car out and (+) means richening.

I would not even bother tuning the low throttle at all. There really isno need to do it. Just stick to tuning the high throttle for each rpm that you have. This is alot easier with two people. One person to drive while the other watches the RPMS in relation to your AFR. So what you want is a steady AFR of about 11.3-11.5 throught the rpm range.

Now lets say while your tuning you notice that its fine until around 5k rpms where it slowely starts going below 11.0 AFR. Well now you go back into the safc and subtract alittle more air at the 5k rpm position. And just continue trying until you see it stays in the range you want throught.

Also another quick hint is to use 3rd gear as your tuning gear. not 1st or 2nd

Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM

K, I will give this a shot and write back. It will be a few days tho.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 AM

K so I don't get it. I don't seem to be getting anything from my wideband.

When I rev the car to 1 or 2k rpm, the wideband reads 10.0
When I drive, it says the same thing EXCEPT when I let off the gas. When I let off the gas I get numbers all over the place.

Also, sometimes at idle (1k rpm), it reads 11.3. But after a little while it idles below 1k rpm and the wideband goes back to 10.0.

Has anyone had these errors before?

One other thing, are RRE's AFC settings good for me despite the fact that I am running 650 injectors? I mean I know every car is unique, but when shooting for a basic setup or starting point, like thr point lo=30 and hi=80, are their setting good for me since they are using 550s?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

The lo and high settings of 30 and 80 are fine for any car. The ONLY difference between yours and their will occur in the graphs of the air flow changes where you either add or subtract to adjust the AFR.

As far as the wideband goes, there must be something wrong with it either in the install of it or the o2 sensor or wiring. Because at idle you should be in the 14+ range. Is it used? Its possible it could be a bad sensor

Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Nah, the wideband is new, but the guy who installed the safc said he wasn't sure how to install the wideband. So I wouldn't be surprised if it is a bad install.

I noticed the car has trouble revving past 3k rpm. RRE's site says it can either be the sensor selection which should be karman or bad wiring. I switched the sensor selection to karman but things are still bad. I need to review the install and see if it was done right.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yea check their site, it also has a thing on the intall i believe and where every wire should be hooked up. Here is where i say if you want something done right you have to do it yourself, haha. I dont see how he can have a problem with a wideband gauge. You simply tap the o2 sensor into the exhaust and run the wiring to the gauge. If you want to make sure that was installed correctly i believe that VFAQ has a how-to on it

Quick Reply: Tuning