2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004 | 04:52 PM
Default Turbo

I am wanting to install a tubo in my 1999 rs but dont know were to get one or what else i need? I also heard that you have to get a decent one or else it isnt worth getting because all it will do is cause problems?
SO what do i need besides a tubo kit for my car if there is anything?
Help me out please

Old 11-01-2004 | 05:00 PM
Default RE: Turbo

how much boost are you going to run??

Old 11-01-2004 | 08:34 PM

its cheaper to just buy a turbo car already. you have to change alot of stuff when putting a turbo on a non turbo

Old 11-02-2004 | 05:07 PM

Go with a Garrett Turbo kit on ebay for $2,695. It comes with everything, you do not need any other parts like other kits require. It comes with a intercooler, blow off valve, and even a timer. And this company has been around for a while. Of course Greddy's are also good to, but then you need to buy all of those parts seperately and will cost you more in the long run. This Garrett Turbo kit is for a Eclipse Talon 4G63 420A engine. Just make sure that you have the same engine before purchasing.

Old 11-03-2004 | 09:58 AM

its cheaper to just buy a turbo car already. you have to change alot of stuff when putting a turbo on a non turbo
Not in my area where i live a turbo car is from 2000-3000 dollars more so if you cant afford it dont buy it.
On a differant note i have a gs as well. i have been told that if you buy all the parts seperate almost build a kit from smaller kits its way cheeper. for the Garrett Turbo kit on ebay for $2,695 that is over priced. you can buy a new full kit for less than that. my advice shop around wait until somone has a surplus in there inventory.

Old 11-03-2004 | 01:06 PM

FatalJRA, that garrett kit can only be made for the 4g63 or 420a, it's not compatible with both. In the disclaimer, it might say "some fabrication required" or something along those lines, what that means is if you have a 420a and the kit was made for a 4g63, you'll need to either find or make a new exhaust manifold. And that's the hardest part of turbocharging a car. The heads on the 4g63 and 420a are totally different, the bolt holes are in the wrong place and the exhaust port don't line up, so the manifold is a deciding factor on which car the kit was made for. A lot of DSM members had problems with a company called STAR turbo systems, which claimed that they're kits can work on *all turbo and non-turbo cars*...with some modification. Well, the people took it home and tried to bolt it up, and it didn't fit. So, they took it to shops and and they said it used totally different parts and all kinds of other stuff not intended for their cars. Apparantly when they tried to return the kits to STAR, Star refused to take it back saying that on the disclaimer, "some modification required for some models". Yeah, soo.....those guys got pissed, $3000 worth of stuff they can't use.

Old 11-03-2004 | 08:09 PM

My bad, like I said I don't know very much about turbos, let alone putting one on. I just figured that the kit would be a deal because it includes everything that you need, where as a lot of kits don't and you are required to purchase those items seprately. I'm in a real dilema myself whether to rehaul my entire engine, or to put a new one in. Please leave some input on my post for "New engine, what do you think" if you can think of anything. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2004 | 09:09 PM

Not in my area where i live a turbo car is from 2000-3000 dollars more so if you cant afford it dont buy it.
On a differant note i have a gs as well. i have been told that if you buy all the parts seperate almost build a kit from smaller kits its way cheeper. for the Garrett Turbo kit on ebay for $2,695 that is over priced. you can buy a new full kit for less than that. my advice shop around wait until somone has a surplus in there inventory.

so you lookin at paying 2,500 for a turbo kit. and like spydergs said you gonna have to buy a few more things to mount it up. and unless you plan on installing it your self your going to have to pay someone to put it in. and thats not a 100 dollar job

Old 11-03-2004 | 11:27 PM

If you are still wanting to shop around for turbo kits I know that hahn craft racing makes turbo kits for non turbo eclipses. I think the stage two runs around 3000 and comes with everything you need if I am correct. I think all you have to buy would be the turbo timer and the boost gauge.

Old 11-05-2004 | 10:08 AM

so you lookin at paying 2,500 for a turbo kit. and like spydergs said you gonna have to buy a few more things to mount it up. and unless you plan on installing it your self your going to have to pay someone to put it in. and thats not a 100 dollar job
everwhere i have looked all mounts are included in the kit and i have family that will install it.

Quick Reply: Turbo