2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

turbo and intercooler issues,, i think,,

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Default turbo and intercooler issues,, i think,,

hey guys, new to the forum and new to the world of force induction

picked up a 95 gst for a kid who had enough of it

stock everything besides a 3 " turbo down pipe and an injen cold air intake

he sold it to me because the turbo died on him and wasnt spooling correctly at all,

told me that he stoped driving the car 2 weeks ago and he stopped driving it once he incountered the problem

so i took it off his hands for him and proceded to rip the turbo out to find that the shaft play was ungodly and then promptly put a basically new t25 right back in there again from a buddy of mine, the thing had about 5k on it before i bought it

so bolted it right back on and filled all the fluids, hooked all the vacume lines all back up and to my knowledge didnt leave anything unhooked

took her out for a spin and encountered a TON of smoke during my first two shifts then after that she basically stoped smoking under 3K rpms, shes done this now for 3 straight days, ive been starting her up, letting her get to opperating temp and then going out for a slow climb through the rpms to see how shell react

when she gets up to 3.5k she starts smokin again every time,, im kinda new to force induction but im pretty sure shes at full spool and pressure at this point,,, im pulling the dip stick and im not buring oil guys,,,, where is this coming from??????????? i heard from a friend that the intercooler could have collected a lot of oil from the blown turbo -- is this possible?

like to get your opinion before i rip the front bumper cover off and go after the entire intake system of this car

thanks for your advice in advance

Dustin

Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

well you could have def. got alot of oil in the IC. But i dont think that would cause your problem. What color is the smoke comming out of the car

Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM

its a bluish blackish mixture, looks like burning oil but yet theres nothing missing on the dip stick..... i dont see any white in there if your leaning towards a HG, that thought ran through my mind as well and i checked the coolent to see if there was any missing and there wasnt

Old 09-19-2009, 04:04 PM

went after the intercoooler today, found oil and crud in there from the last turbo, cleaned it out and reinstalled

she doesnt burn oil anymore but ive run into a boast leak now, what is the air pipe running from the top of the IC to the blowoff valve? the one that runs underneath the fuse box ( 95 eclipse gsx) -- pretty sure this is a plastic pipe

the leak is right around the rubber clamp where the hose clamp torques on to the IC pipe

its 15 years old and when plastic gets old it breaks, should i replace this or should i just yank it out and go after the ruber clamp and replace that?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

well first i would check the rubber hose and make sure its not slit or anything. If that appears fine then it may be as simple as just replacing the clamp with either a new worm clamp or a nice t-bolt clamp to get a better seal at the connection

Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM

what size t clamp am i going to need for this junction?

and can i put some rtv silicon around it to make sure theres no way the boost is going to leak??? i would hate to do this and have the silicon get old and have a chunk go flying into the intake manifold and ruin my motor,,, good idea?? bad idea??

i plan on letting it dry for a day before i start the car up

thanks guys