2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbo problem ( I think)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Default Turbo problem ( I think)...

Hello again. I have a little trouble now. I have a stock 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It still has the stock turbo. Yes, I tried to bring this out in another topic, but I didnt get much info. Everytime i "hit it," the turbo seems to stop at 4,500 rpm. It completely stops boosting (if thats what you call it). I really have no idea what is going on. The car seems to jerk in some way at 4,500 rpm. The car doesnt jerk constently, it just jerks for that one sec and I dont gain speed as fast as when I am actually "hitting it." Do you guys have any idea what it could be?

Old 03-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Turbo problem ( I think)...

so wat does your car drop hard for a second then work fine as the rpms go up ro does it stay bad at all high rpms?

oh and i would just like to note that i really dont think it is a turbo problem. It is somewhere else.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:49 AM

Well if its a 95 and its the original turbo its probably (dead) not working well. Im pretty sure most turbos run strong up to about 90,000 miles or even up to 120,000 miles in some cases, you might wanna look at just switching the turbo. If you got some cash i would recommend getting a new one/upgraded one or just getting a stock one thats around 55,000 miles if you can find it. Good luck with it i really dont know why it would be doing this. Just might be old...

Old 03-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to say it's likely due to age. Probably never been rebuilt and things wear out. Check it for shaft play. Also check the impeller fins see what shape they're in. I'm wondering if when you finally hit that RPM range the turbo has enough of a mibalance now to be allowing the shaftplay to toss the impeller into the housing thus bending fins and dorkin up the turbo... To check shaft play take the hose off the front of the go-snail and wiggle the shaft up and down. There should be less than I think either 1/4 or 1/8 I don't rmemeber of play when you wiggle it. Any more than that and it's time for a rebuild. (I think 1/4" shaftplay is the high limit" Remember even a brand new turbo will have some wiggle (They ARE moving parts after all) but degredation over time and usage gives it more play.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:37 AM

I told you to replace you plugs and wires go get a tune up...did you ever do that? Untill you do that your not getting your problem solve man. I think your spark plugs are waisted and that is the problem. I have driven a Talon TSi AWD that did that. ran fine untill 4500 RPMs and then would stutter all the rest of the way and you could feel power loss big time and it only did that if it was floored.

when when checked the plug on that Talon they were so lose they could have been taken out by hand and the wires were so old the crumbled and broke down in our hands.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:40 AM

Oh and if it was a turbo problem 2 things would happen you would most likely be blowing a TON of black smoke and you whould here the death whine which when you hear that you know it is loud sounds like a cop siren or something and you feel NO boost maybe 1-5 PSI if that

Old 03-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

yes i am right with emonz. This is what i was going to be getting at. We said to do this before. If this still doesnt work then well have you try something else. A stock turbo can last a pretty good amount of beating. I had a stock turbo on my talon up through 130,000 and still had no problems with it. So i really doubt it is that. It could also be a fuel problem but first PLUGS & WIRES!!!

Old 03-25-2006, 06:00 PM

Well, my car has 130,000 miles on it right now with the stock turbo. i have no upgrades. I also changed my spark plugs and wires when i first got my car. i changed the spark plugs and wires aroudn 120,000 miles. But I am going to check them out. Thanks. Is there anything else you guys think it could be?

Old 03-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Also, when i down shift (usually from 5th to 3rd) on the highway, it blows smoke out the back for a sec, but I shift right afterwards (after i see the smoke). Another thing, the car still spools up until 4,500 rpm and the rest of the rpms it is bad until i shift and then it goes bad after 4,500 rpm. Its after 4,500 rpms that it goes bad.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: agallardo

Also, when i down shift (usually from 5th to 3rd) on the highway, it blows smoke out the back for a sec, but I shift right afterwards (after i see the smoke). Another thing, the car still spools up until 4,500 rpm and the rest of the rpms it is bad until i shift and then it goes bad after 4,500 rpm. Its after 4,500 rpms that it goes bad.
all turbo cars will blow smoke after shifts and under full boost lightly but a bad turbo will blow ALOT of smoke and it will scream the death Whine

Quick Reply: Turbo problem ( I think)...