2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Default turbo question

Im driving a 98 gst. When i accelerate at low rpm i can hear the turbo spooling nicely. However, when i gun it the turbo starts to make a loud bell like sound. Its like a low, hollow sound. Iono whats going on!!! [:@] i still feel the boost from the turbo but the sound is still there. Any ideas?! thanks

Old 09-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Default RE: turbo question

stock turbo?

Has it always done this? Have you added anything to it lately? What side does the sound seem like its coming from?

Old 09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator

are you certain that it is coming from the turbo?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:57 PM

I have a stock turbo. I cant quite figure out which side its coming from. And i think its the turbo because i would slowly accelerate and I can hear the turbo spooling nicely. But when i gun it the spooling sound begins to transform into the hollow, bell sound. It could be something else. But when i talked to the mechanic at the mitsubishi dealer, he said that it could be a broken turbine in my turbo. At first i believed him because he probably works on gst's all the time....but....when i thought about it i started to wonder..."where did the broken piece go?!" is it just siting inside the turbo? Does anyone else have the same problem? It might not be the turbo like Patrick suggested but im not sure. Any ideas? thanks.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:59 PM

oh yea... this sound has been going on for around a week. I havent done any mods on my engine except a greddy BOV.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

are you certain that it is coming from the turbo?
I like the new sig... its nsaty looking

Anyway to the turbo problem. Turn the car on and pop the hood. Grap the tb and give it a yan open, all the way to simulate wot. This way you will be able to tell exactly where the sound is comming from. And again never go to satan(dealer) those guys are stupid as ****.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:59 AM

if a piece of the turbo broke off, you would hear it without having to go all out on the gas...

Old 09-30-2005, 01:48 AM

I tried searching my engine bay for any sounds but nothings making any wierd noises. I hear this bell sound only when im accelerating at high rpm's. hmmm maybe the turbo is just getting old?

Old 09-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Like get said have the car running open the hood and pull the throttle cable from under the hood rev your engine up and see if you can pinpoint where exactly the sound is coming from. Or have someone else press the gas if you don't want to pull the cable from under the hood.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:06 AM

if your car still accelerates fine you do not have anything wrong with the turbo. you need to think of exactly when it started and if you changed anything prior. it may be normal and you didnt notice it before.

Quick Reply: turbo question