2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbocharging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Turbocharging?

16g's are bolts ons for 1g cars that already ahve a turbo, but not for a nonturbo, which is what the guy has....
you do not need a new head but you do need a lot of other things, i'll just say too many to list. actaully read about it on vfaq.com before you reply trying to help someone.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to do the same exact thing to my car and I was told that the turbo heads had bigger valves and whatnot and that I needed to replace it. And I KNow there are alot of other things needed like the sensors and the piping and the manifolds as well asa bigger injectors and FPR to match. But I'm still learning here as well that's why I'm askin just as much as he is SHEESH.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:13 AM

im not trying to give you a hard time i know you are learning, and im sure a bigger head would help but probably not until you have a stronger bottom end to actually raise the boost to high enough levels. I was mainly directing my message to rancidsam who said the turbo was a direct bolt on, which is not for a nonturbo, it takes a lot of work and $...

Old 04-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

K I understand the turbo isn't a direct bolton for a non turbo I can deal with that but what I need to know now is if the current computer is going to work for my engine if I turbo it and if I need to change out the intake manifold. I don't think I need to change the feul pump just yet unless it's a block mounted pump. LikeI said I have a '92 that WAS turbo engine blew the guy put a non turbo from a '94 in it and got a computer upgrade and cat back exhaust system. Now I know I need to change the exhaust manifold, add the pieces to hold the turbo and the BOV, get all the intercooler piping and oil cooling piping (Working on that as we speak) as well as obtain an intercooler (I think I want to go to a front mount so it sits in the hole in the front bumper instead of having to get mesh for it). Essentially I am trying to figure out what parts to get and what I can use. Head I hear is actually the same it's the cams that need swapped though bigger valves will help later on when I get a bigger turbo right? Will my current NA computer work (Because it IS an upgraded come) and does anyone know of software I can use to connect to that computer to get my readings? (I have datalogger and the 3 prong cable but don't know if that'll work on the new comp...). I think I just need to start my own thread with all this crap LOL might make things easier...

Old 04-13-2005, 03:35 PM

all your questions can be answered at vfaq.com

Old 04-13-2005, 10:27 PM

I highly doubt the NT computer working with a turbo, think about this. A/F ratios would be different for sure, where the fuel cut is hit at, with a NT ECU its going to be sending alot less fuel than needed by the turbo. You know if you guys really want a turbo on your NT eclipse the best thing to do is to sell your current Eclipse and buy the GST.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

I would love to be able to up and sell it and get a GST BUT it's a 1 of a kind item now (skyline taillights aren't cheap to buy or have put in) and too much work is going into it to just up and dump it now. Besides I have an aftermarket computer so can that be changed to run a turbo machine or no? And if it's all that bad then I can probably find a computer for a turbo on ebay or whatnot and have no problems right?

Old 04-14-2005, 03:50 PM

It's very possible to turbocharge the NA 4g63. Don't worry about the head, all 1g heads are the same except for cams. As for the ecu, using an SAFC can solve most fuel problems, but you'll have to upgrade the injectors. The fuel pump will be fine though, as long as you keep the boost relatively low. You may not want to exceed around 200hp(crank), as the pistons and rods are fairly old and will need replacing soon anyways. You wouldn't want to blow a piston and take out the entire engine....

Old 04-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

I know I'll have to upgrade injectors (Got 450cc ones on the way which should suffice for a while) and I'm also getting new rods though I dunno if I need pistons or not to go with them or if the stock will work fine. I'll have to look into the SAFC I honestly hadn't thought of that at all. Though I DO still have the stock computer here that came with the original car that had a turbo in it so I may try that. I think I want to get a better crank as well though I'm not really sure that it needs changed at all. I'll see what's going on when I tear it down Saturday.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:41 AM

The bottom end is basically identical between the turbo and non-turbo engine, so no need to worry about the crank. Generally speaking, the NA engine is almost a turbo engine except with different manifolds, cams, and pistons.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging?