2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbos?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Default RE: Turbos?!?

Ive always wondered about higher octane some people have said it will help any engin to run preimum but some people say that running any octane over what the car was made for is a waste of money. Ive known guys to run midgrade in their gst and the car runs fine but a dealership told the original owner of my gst that she could run regular even though it calls for premium. she never ran regular but what kinda dealer spews that kinda crap? Makes me dislike them even more. thats why i was wondering if even higher octane would help. I didnt think it would very much with my setup right now but thought id ask. Iv got an cone filter, Ngk plugs, Aftermarket bov, and am looking into a cat back so im still at the stock level of performance.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Lil red

Ive always wondered about higher octane some people have said it will help any engin to run preimum but some people say that running any octane over what the car was made for is a waste of money. Ive known guys to run midgrade in their gst and the car runs fine but a dealership told the original owner of my gst that she could run regular even though it calls for premium. she never ran regular but what kinda dealer spews that kinda crap? Makes me dislike them even more. thats why i was wondering if even higher octane would help. I didnt think it would very much with my setup right now but thought id ask. Iv got an cone filter, Ngk plugs, Aftermarket bov, and am looking into a cat back so im still at the stock level of performance.

Well you are not at stock level of performence. and intake alone will change the MAF readings to the ECU and may try and companstat by adding fuel where it isnt really nessesary and richen the car up a little more, An exhaust will cause you to spool quicker and spike a little more than normal PSI a higher octane gas could help if you turn up the boost a bit and it would help even more to tune for it ( I am talking 100+ octane not normal pump gas)

Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 AM

race gas will not damage anything unless its leaded. race gas will do little to nothing for a stock motor. all the higher octane does is resist knock and improve the burning of the fuel. The less fuel you use the more powerful the combustion, the more power you make. with higher octane (race gas) you can lean out your fuel mixture and make more power without doing damage due to knock/detonation. additionally, for turbo cars you can run more boost because the higher octane will prevent knock. turbo cars are forced to run very rich because normal gas has a low octane rating so they make a lot less power than they are capable of.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ORIGINAL: slow420a

Also when n/a 420a kids with stock cars buy 91 octain or 110 and think that they are getting hp from it.... thats a good one.

Not only them... There are EVO guys that run c16 on a 100% stock EVO. There is a big arguement on the fact that race gas on a stock car doesnt do a thing if it is at stock boost levels without anything to make it flow faster. All in all you want to have the right mixture to stay safe and make the most power I know a stock EVO runs like 9.8AFR which is VERY safe.
my aem wbo2 dosent even read that rich. Plus you would need a egt gauge along with a wide band with higher octain gas tunes. The wide band reads 86 octain just the same as it reads 91. It just mesures the a/f ratio. For something like that you would need a egt gauge to check the temps while you lean it out. 110 can run leaner then 91 but the temps are going to be different. Fo SAmPle (hypethetically speaking) 91 can run at 12.6 at 14500 where 110 can run at a ratio of 13.00 and be 1400 degrees.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:36 AM

i agree with slow420 but a wideband isnt necessarily needed to rune for race gas, and the aem is not good for dsms because i think it only reads as rich as 11:1. Most DSMers tune for 10.8 - 11.2:1 for 91 octane. you can go leaner with race gas, general rule for those tuning with the SAFC is start out by leaning it 5%, use a data logger and proceed until your car starts to pull timing.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to remember this correctly I read a big article on the octane ratings and recomendations once in a tuner mag. If I remember correctly the octane level assists against knocking by adjusting essentially WHEN the fuel will burn. Which also sets how thoroughly it will burn. If it ignites too early you won't get full power due to not having full compression as well as the fact that the gas will be firing before the plugs ignite it. Quite the opposite on the higher octane side the gas will ignite well AFTER when it should for optimum performance. Anyone else have anything to add to that or correct me on here? Like I said I'm going off memory on this one from an article.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

i agree with slow420 but a wideband isnt necessarily needed to rune for race gas, and the aem is not good for dsms because i think it only reads as rich as 11:1. Most DSMers tune for 10.8 - 11.2:1 for 91 octane. you can go leaner with race gas, general rule for those tuning with the SAFC is start out by leaning it 5%, use a data logger and proceed until your car starts to pull timing.
Ya it only goes to 11.00, but 10.8 is really rich? Kids on 2g nt.com with built motors and huge turbos are running 11.5-12.0. My car stock is at 12.5. I guess the dsm's need more fuel.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

Ya it only goes to 11.00, but 10.8 is really rich? Kids on 2g nt.com with built motors and huge turbos are running 11.5-12.0. My car stock is at 12.5. I guess the dsm's need more fuel.
most of the boosted 3Gs run around 12.0

Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 AM

12.00 sounds reasonable, but anything lower then 10.00... dam thats rich, my car sputtered nad ran really ****ty when I had my fpr hooked up and I was runnin around 11.2, I cant imagen running any richer.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:05 PM

I read that the EVO stock is 9.8. when the EVO guys are getting tuned they are running around 11.3 to 11.5ish.

Quick Reply: Turbos?!?