2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Uh oh 97 gsx

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Default Uh oh 97 gsx

Hey,

So today my friend came over and i helped him put a stereo into his 1997 GSX. its a pretty nice first car. a couple of months ago it got broken into and completely trashed. we were talking and he started showing me the car a little more as we got working on it. and he mentioned something about the intake coming apart after he goes full throttle. we went for a ride and sure enough as soon as he let off the throttle from full out there was almost a "woosh" sound like a blow off valve would make but instead it was the intake coming apart. after that the car had no power and would only go 20mph. we put it all back together and tightened everything and went out and it did it again. the previous owner also put a boost controller on the car. dont really think that should be it but im not to sure. im pretty knowledgable with cars just looking to help out my friend whos not quiet the gear head.
thanks, J

Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Uh oh 97 gsx

so you are saying that the couplings are blowing off? What kinda are they, and how good are they tightened down. Do you have a boost guage. Because if you dont then turn the boost back down to stock with the MBC and get a guage because you may be over boosting.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Just make sure you have the clamps nice and tight.. My intercooler pipe kept coming apart untill I really cranked it down.. It may not be the right size if you cant seem to get the thing to stay on at all..

Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 PM

tight is good but not too tight you can cut into it and create a leak...buy new couplers or just a intake kit

Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 AM

so its not something like the pressure its getting to high and when you let off all the pressure isnt so built up that it blows the intake off? cause if he replaces the intake with say an aem or something like that thats one piece it wont blow the intake tube apart? right now its stock.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 AM

If hes running a stock turbo, you should be able to tighten it enough to keep it from blowing off.. Now if he was running a big turbo and high boost... Than he might need to fab something to keep it on.. But the clamps that come with them should be fine with a stock setup..

Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 AM

is it possible either the diverter valve or blow off valve ( dont know which is stock on an eclipse) could be frozen shut? also where is the maf sensor. i couldnt see one. what intake would you reccomend?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

the MAF sensor is the big black thing near the end of your intake on the left side of the engine bay. Do you hear the BOV at all when you let off. I doubt thats the issue though. I bet your overboosting. What boost is it running

Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM

during low acceleration you can hear it. the boost gauge is almost all the way maxed out for the stock gauge. theres no # on the gauge

Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 PM

Ya, the stock gauges arent a good way to tell what boost your running.. Its always good to have an aftermarket gauge so you know what exactly your boosting.. Especially with a MBC..

Quick Reply: Uh oh 97 gsx