2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Unable to engage 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Default Unable to engage 1st gear

Ok well I just bought this car, 97 gs-t spyder from ebay about 3 weeks ago, it drove ok for the first week,well kinda sorta, it would click every now then when you shifted gears. anyways now I cant even get the sucker into first gear anymore without first having to turn the vehicle off. Once the car is off im easily able to shift into first. Also it grinds the hell out of the gear if i try to get it into reverse without first turning the vehicle off also. Another thing, the clutch pedal sticks sometimes, like when i press down on it to shift gears, sometimes it takes a few seconds before it come back all the way. Has this happened to anyone before? It sure is a pain having to turn the car off everytime i come to a complete stop just to shift it into 1st gear! lol! Anyways you guys think i need a new clutch? I ordered a new clutch kit and flywheel from ACT last week and it should be coming today. Though im not really sure it's the clutch, does anyone have any ideas on what's going wrong here? Also I just got the 90,000 mile service done on the car, and they said all the fluids were fine. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Default RE: Unable to engage 1st gear

Yeah it is most likely just the clutch, however if the pedal is sticking aften and badly, I would check out the clutch master cylinder. It's a quick and cheap fix that will give a lot of improvment. I had the exact same issue with a Toyota Tercel and a Nissan Maxima!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 AM

to me it sounds like the clutch has an air pocket in it try bleeding the clutch before replacing anything.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Not really a solution, but more of a tip, If the slave cylinder is out don't bother to replace it. Buy an SS Clutch Line from RRE. It replace the slave cylinder and isn't subject to failure. Have fun with the car though...

Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys, well my new Clutch kit and fly wheel just came in. I took it to Ammco, they did their little diagnostic test, and they concluded that i had a worn out clutch and not a slave cylinder problem. I asked them about the clutch sticking and they assured me that having a worn out clutch would cause that as well. Had to leave the car there though, should be all done tomarrow by the afternoon, Labor alone is 560.....damn oh well id rather have theses guys do it then spend half of that to have some of my brother inlaws transmition buddies come over to the house to have it done in the garage. I'll let you guys know how it turns out tomarrow. Haha tonight I'll pray to the car gods and hope no other problems arise during or after the install....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2872/8369D0C14D0D42E9B06AEAD4225E3DB3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2005, 10:26 PM

damn that's a nice looking spyder. Reminds me of mine.....

Old 02-10-2005, 06:58 AM

Thanks SPYDERGS, Always thought 2gen eclipses were really nice looking cars, especially the Burgandy colored ones! So anyways, I went down to aamco to pick up my eclipse today, they showed me the old clutch and flywheel and man they were really worn down. So they hand me the keys and said it was set to go, i get in test out the clutch, pretty firm, quite a bit of pedal pressue this time around compared to what it was before. So i Turn the car on and stick it in reverse, to my suprise it didnt grind this time haha! Though once i got it out and tried to stick it into first it didnt want to engage.....needless to say i wasnt happy.I mean cmon now...This was why i brought the car here in the first place! So now they tell me that there could still be some air in the system which is causing the problem, they also asked me to leave the car there overnight so they could bleed it out. Though they said if that dosent fix it than i just could have a weak slave cylinder which needs replacing. Eh....I just hope they find out and fix whatever is wrong with it soon. Bought the car for $6000 But I already spent well over 2 g's on the car within the past month already! $600 to tax and register tha car, $360 for 90,000 mile service and tune up, $100 for new denso spark plugs and wires, $600 for a new ACT clutch kit and flywheel, $560 on labor to intsall the damn thing.....my funds are running pretty low I just hope it dosent get any lower... []

Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM

[/Bought the car for $6000 But I already spent well over 2 g's on the car within the past month already! $600 to tax and register tha car, $360 for 90,000 mile service and tune up, $100 for new denso spark plugs and wires, $600 for a new ACT clutch kit and flywheel, $560 on labor to intsall the damn thing.....my funds are running pretty low I just hope it dosent get any lower...
quote]

Yeah, this is normal.

Happenned to me with mine.

The more I read about people's experiences the more I find its normal.

You get to a point where the car finally gets perfected and works well, but in the meantime it takes a whole lot of going back again and again to get each function to work right.

It looks to me like you need your shifter assembly adjusted. Easy repair and takes care of "not going into gear" problems and also "grinding" into gear problems.

I currently have a problem whereas I "grind" into second gear unless I catch the 'feel' of the shifter just right.

Now a proper floor-shifter-mechinism-adjustment will clear this right up.

Enjoy your Spider, they're fun [8D]

DT

Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 PM

Well i just got home, been driving around for the past 4 hours in my finally driveable eclipse! Man do i love that car. Though today when i checked the pressure on the clutch pedal, it feels a lot softer now than it did before. I mean before i really had to push that sucker in but now it feels like alot of the pressure has gone away, what gives? I mean i dont mind i guess it makes driving around alot easier but I was just curious what could have made such a dramtic change overnight? Perhaps cuz they supposedly bleed the car some more? I dont know, though in my few hours while i was driving around today my problem with engaging first gear only happend to me twice, but other than that shifting has been very smooth, haha i dont have to slap the stick into gears anymore[sm=smiley16.gif] Now i just got to save up till i have enough money to change the damn timing belt, dont know if the previous owner maintained this vehicle but it's kind of nerverecking hearing all theses horror stories about belts snapping and totally f-ing up the car! Well Im off now to go clean the rims and give the car a good wash. Take it easy guys, oh and if anyone has an answer to my preassure question it be highly appreciated!

Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM

Angel you don't have to anguish over the timing belt, just pop the top cover off and eyeball it.

Hows it look ?

Good ?

Bad, ready to go?

...and a clutch bleed is really easy, 10 minute job, have a friend try this.

Have fun!DT

Quick Reply: Unable to engage 1st gear