2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Upgrading fuel - does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Default RE: Upgrading fuel - does this make sense?

Yea thanks, I looked around and saw the 6 in 1.

Well I probably will go with the external, but I was just wondering if I had to change something else because of it.

Ok, installing everything at once will make me have to go a little cheaper on the parts, but thats cool. I'm sure I can find a used exhaust somewhere or have a shop custom build one.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

Well $300 is for a high end wideband.

Lol I wasnt sayin you did say the 255hp thing lol. I see it all the time on peoples mods lists when selling a car. All I know is no f-ing way would I buy a car from them

Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 PM

no, what i was tryin to say was not to, in my opinion, not to put one week the fuel system in, then the turbo the next week or two and so on....i think its better to buy everything you need and then put it all in at once....but i dont know if your turbo is gone and you need a new one in asap or just getting ready to upgrade.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 AM

Hey Seeba I know you didnt mean me lol. And I know what you mean about the fuel pump, that makes a lot of sense.

TJ, I totally agree with you. I just wish this list didn't include the exhaust. Actually tho, i think i may be able to save some cash here and there as i do a little more research and either buy cheaper parts (as opposed to hi-end ones) or pick up used parts.

So, here is what I am thinking
DSMlink
Some super cheeseball laptop
SBR EVO III turbo 16G with external wastegate - should I port this?
2G install kit
FIC 650s
Walbro 255LPH!!! lol
Aero AFPR - no gauges or anything, that's cool right?
AEM 6 - 1 wideband
Greddy FMIC used
Some friggin 3in exhaust - any suggestions? I really didnt look this up coz
i was planning on leaving my setup as is.

What I have:
MBC
Intake
Boost gauge
new clutch
some other stuff

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 AM

i think it all sounds good. if you want a good cheap exhaust. i hear that Tsudo has some good catbacks and they're pretty cheap. i know they're quite a fewfor 125 on ebay or 250 around some online stores.

i know im going to buy one of em for my GST when i get some cash.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 AM

ebay is not a performance shop. if you buy a 125 exhaust, you will get what you pay for. in many cases they don't even send the correct exhaust and you will have to send it back and wait for another (most people will make you pay the shipping back to them - 80-100 bucks). don't cheap out. if you can't afford an exhaust this week but can afford the turbo. get the exhuast and then get the turbo when you can afford it. another problem with the 100 dollar exhaust is they sound like a riced out honda, and the gains are minimal compared to high end / name brand exhausts.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Megan racing has pretty cheap exhaust systems at decent quality. Youd probably be looking at about 300-400 for the complete catback.

You dont really need to port the turbo. It will give alittle faster spoolup but thats all. Also if your going with an externally gated turbo you know you need a new exhaust manifold right? If you go internal you can reuse the stock mani and also the o2 housing. However with internal just make sure you get it ported and with an upgraded flapper so to not have boost creep issues. Thats just my opinion though

And for only a 16g what is the reason for dsmlink. The SAFC can easily handle those injectors and a 16g w/ the 190 fuel pump. Maybe i missed something but this setup seems alittle overkill.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:56 AM

you can get a cheap used exhaust from dsmtrader.com... you can get almost everything used on there for a good price... plus if you get the aero afpr kit it will include a gauge and it's all well priced... if you really wanna save some money then get a safc, not dsmlink and a computer. I know a lot of people swear by dsmlink (cause it is a great product), butwith the set-up ur running an safc will work absolutely fine, and will be a ton less money... as far as the external wastegate, they are much better than an internal because they totally eliminate boostcreep, so if you can afford go for it! but the thing you have to do to make it work is either buy a new exhaust manifold that has an outlet welded onto it for your wastegate, OR just get a shop to weld on an outlet for you, hope that helped

Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Ok, so this is what is going on.

I am getting 720 injectors coz a friend has them.
I just bought an FMIC too from him
as well as a FPR

Do those size injectors make a difference as to whether i should get DSMlink or SAFC? or does the turbo determine that?

I am not going that cheap on the exhaust. I honestly want something like what I have now (though I do not know what muffler i have) which is something deep and not too loud. I HATE that loud go-nowhere rice ****.

Ok, so I will see about dealing with a new manifold. I am sure I can get one cheap used.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2008, 01:28 PM

720s are overkill on that turbo. 550's are recomended, and 650s' are recomended to people who will be pushing more down the road.

i'm concerned on what you said about your exhaust. please tell me you that you don't just have a muffler on there. . .

Quick Reply: Upgrading fuel - does this make sense?