2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Ways of the boost!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ways of the boost!

What about the MAF sensors for each of the systems? What do you have to do to those to run each?

Old 04-20-2005, 12:47 AM

nothing for the maf, just need to worry about fuel/tuning

Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

So then you can keep the stock MAF and it'll run just fine after turbo/super charging?

Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

turbos more fun and has more potential. you can easily supercharge something but look at all the fastest cars out there, from muscle cars to imports, what will you find? turbo...
Well some yes but once more i have to dissagree
the fastest cars run 427 502 ...... and so on and they are blown "supercharged" nitrodrags pro mod for exmple my uncle has a old vette that has a drag motor in it runs low 9 high 8 1/4 mile.
what i am looking for is if i were to supercharge my eclipse would i have probles as in boost would i be robbing myself becuse i would like to say i have the only supercarged eclipse in the valley? or would a turbo be a better route for our four cylinder world.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I think turbo is the way to go for a 4 banger. The supercharger would be nice to have as the only one in the valley but it depends on if you are looking for unique or are truely looking for a full race setup. I think supercharges are really starting to fall by the wayside anymore. The thing in the day was A.) It was the look that was desired for a muscle car. Blower sticking out of the hood with the huge intake and whatnot. But I alos believe that the turbo wasn't really developed if even known about back then. B.)Power loss due to the blower running off the crank wasn't an issue because the engines made so much power anyways that the loss was unnoticed and the blower was more reliable. c.)Also nowadays there are ALOT more electronics to deal with boost levels and control all the little variables known to us. Back then the blower was popular due to knowing that at a certain engine speed a certain amount would be pushed through and a certain power gain would be had. So yes the big engines back in the day and some old fashioned people still living back in the day still use the blower (Or supercharger if you want to call it that). But with the increase in technology and the electronics age taking over the turbo is the one with the most potential if done right. Bear in mind also that the supercharger is again going to be driven by the same 4 cylinders that push the wheels vice the 8 that you're uncle's mustang has to play with. What it all comes down to is what you want to be able to say really. You want to say "I have the only supercharged Eclipse in the valley!" or do you want to say "I have a turbo Eclipse pushin 15 PSI and running ##'s in the 1/4!" I believe the turbo will give you just a wee bit more of an advantage over the supercharger. I'd look for pro shops that did that type of mod and see if they have any dyno #'s for the engine.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Oh and don't get me wrong I like the supercharges as well as teh turbo. I plan on supercharging my '64 Dodge 440 (318 Wide Block engine) when I get around to tearing the whole thing apart and rebuilding it. i'm not really biasd on the whole thing I just think that 4 nbangers really aren't equiped nor designed to handle a supercharger the way that the supercharger was designed and built to be manhandled by a V8.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: get435

turbos more fun and has more potential. you can easily supercharge something but look at all the fastest cars out there, from muscle cars to imports, what will you find? turbo...
the fastest cars run 427 502 ...... and so on and they are blown "supercharged" nitrodrags pro mod for exmple my uncle has a old vette that has a drag motor in it runs low 9 high 8 1/4 mile.
what i am looking for is if i were to supercharge my eclipse would i have probles as in boost would i be robbing myself becuse i would like to say i have the only supercarged eclipse in the valley? or would a turbo be a better route for our four cylinder world.
nobody makes a supercharger kit for an eclipse, and it wuld be more trouble than its worth to try an make one, you'd have to have some pretty good knowledge and creativity to make it happen, and it still wouldnt be as fast/efficient as a turbo. for ease: get a gst/gsx. for an expensive challenging project: get a turbo

Old 04-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yes for an expensive challenging project that anyone can do go turbo (Not saying I'm for or against it). But for a project that noone else has really thought ofg trying or bothered to try if you have the tools and time and $ to try it go for the supercharger. Just remember it's going to take a custom manufactured intake, pulley, and probably custom fabricated mounts as well. Unless you go with the weak *** wannabe electric "blowers" that mount inside the intake and really don't push enough air to be worth the crap they're made of.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: get435

As a side note, the reason most american drag race cars use a supercharger instead of turbo has a lot to do with the ultimate goal of the car. If you want to make a full drag car, you would want a completely useable powerband, despite if only using a small portion of it. A supercharger makes boost instantaneously, allowing the engine to make power everywhere, not just in the upper rpms like a turbo would. Also, since you would be potentially rebuilding the engine every few sessions or so, stressing the engine for a brief time (like say less than 4 seconds) for a total of about a dozen races wouldn't hinder the performance too much. Also, the type of fuel used and the ability to cool the intake charge are some other factors for using a supercharger...
You'll see a lot of Japanese drag cars(not the ones made over here, but the ones from Japan that compete in their time trials or whatever) are all turbocharged. However, they are all factory turbocharged cars like skylines and silvias....and they rarely ever go beneath a 6 second pass. There's really no point to this post.....i'm like super bored......

Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yep that would be the other reason to supercharge instead of turbo. Yeah this post has gone to deadsville LOL it needs shot now.

Quick Reply: Ways of the boost!