2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Default What to do?

Hey guys,

I am 17 years old and this is my 4th car :$ a 96 eclipse rs. I had a 2002 acura 3.2tl and i know that that's what im used to and the eclipse is totally different but the fact is when i floor it the tires dont even chirp. I have no money lol got the acura by luck. so the second day that i had this car the transmission broke (mechanic found metal shavings inside) now there is a short in my wireing some where so i have no running lights at all and as soon as i put in a fuse it pops before the fuse is fully in the socket. On top of that its not the car that i wanted, i wanted the gsx well got a black rs that has more primer than paint. Through all of this, i fell in love with this car but it feels extremely slow. my first vehicle was a 1974 ford ranger (back when they were full sized) and that truck was bad, could burn almost all the way thru 3rd. but i had to let it go cus it only got about 6-7 miles to a gallon and i cant afford that. then i had a small 4 cyl toyota pick up which i absolutely hated but it was faster than my eclipse...and then i got the acura and comparing the acura to my eclipse is like comparing...well you guys get the point I'll stop boring you with my story.

Anyway i have this slow *** 420a im 17 so i dont have much money and basically i dont wanna sell my car is there anything i can do to make it get out of its own way? i cant stand 0-60 in almost 10 seconds wtf is that? maybe a few small things that add up? or do i really need a budget of 1-2k?

Thanks guys,
Onyx

Old 11-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Default RE: What to do?

um, if you wanted a quick car you should have gotten a gs-t or gsx, the rs is going to cost you a LOT of money to make quick.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:43 AM

dats true....I have a gs and it's pretty slow. But I just love the body and the ladies just love it when I pull in at work. That is all matter to me. Sorry but I like ladies better than speed.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 AM

Acura TL are know for tranny problems I havve heard nothing but bad about those trans.

The 420a needs quite a bit of $$$$ to be fast. just wont happen in anyway with cheap mods

Old 11-20-2006, 01:32 AM

we cant all have race cars, drive what ya got till you can afford a faster one
this 96 talon was a comlete DOG untill the cat was removed, then it ran ALOT better,
then it went for a hell of a ride & that was the end of it

[IMG]local://upfiles/10240/93566BC193B749BB9BAB835A056CD45C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-20-2006, 09:33 AM

Yeah your write about the TL transmission there was a recall on it and it was replaced for free. I know i shoulda got the gsx or the gst thats what i wanted but not what i got :P but like i said even though its not the car that i want I've really come to liking it so i guess the real question is, Is the engine i have right now (420A) worth the time and effort it will take to make it faster? or should i just accept that its a slow eclipse and throw the new paint job on it i have about 1 grand to spend cus it needs a paint job but i can spend it some where else I just have no idea where to start. I really do like this car just seems that its one problem after another, Lol yesterday one of my constant power wires from the back on my stereo arc'ed out and welded itself to the back of my stereo and popped 6 fuses (radio and head/running lights) took me all day to find it after i posted it. Anyway do i need to get the engine swap or does the 420A have potential?

Thanks,
Onyx.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:34 AM

O yeah the TL went for a pretty sick ride like your talon [] lol that's why i have this eclipse.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

with 1g your not gonna have a fast 420a so IMO its more worth it to get a paint job. Because your gonna need atleast 3k for a turbo kit and accesories

Old 11-20-2006, 11:31 AM

I dont know much about turbo's But i might be able to pick up a T3 turbo, not the kit just the turbo for about 25$ lol T3 is a good turbo?
Ty to everyone helpin yeah i was kinda thinkin goin Show instead of go and then just eventually fixing it up...eventually :P so should i pick up the turbo? comin from a friend of a friends wrecked murkir(sp?) and he doesnt want it...so it'll prolly fall through but if it doesnt should i pick up the T3 ? or not worth even pickin up?

Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

it depends on the type of turbo becuase T3 is very vague. Its the equivalent of saying you have a garrett turbo. It doesnt say much. You need to find out what trim it is? How many miles are on it. and if it has any shaft play (of course this one i would check yourself because i wouldnt trust someone telling me its good.)