2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

What do with with a FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:30 AM
Default What do with with a FMIC

Hey guys. Got a quick question. I am finally planning on buying a front mount, but I have a couple little questions.

1. Do I have to replace my stock fan, in order to put in the FMIC?

2. Do you guys suggest Ebay Intercooler and then brand name piping, or was it Ebay piping with brand name Intercooler?

3. A little off the subject, but does a fuel rail help any?

Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What do with with a FMIC

1. You shouldnt have to replace the fan, i think it should fit in between. (someone correct me if im wrong)

2. If you get an ebay intercooler then the piping will most likely need to be custom made. If you get a brand name then i think some kits will come with the piping. It all really depends on how much work that you want to do yourself. If it were me i would just buy an ebay intercooler and then custom make the piping, but its up to you.

3. The fuel rail is only really good i think with some serious mods. With what you have now i dont think its really necessary

Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

1) You will have to replace the fan with a 12" slim fan. Its very easily done. Are you still running a stock turbo?

2) I would recomend getting it all in one place as a kit. This will actually save you money unless you have a pipe bending machine in your garage lol. I would personally recomend one specific company from ebay or either the buschur racing FMIC.

If you do NOT have a stock turbo: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1g-DS...11551418QQrdZ1

That is the largest intercooler you can get without having to cut away parts of your bumper.

If you dont mind having to cut away parts of your bumper and you have a turbo that is a 16g or bigger this is for you: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1g-DS...09795554QQrdZ1

You should only get a FMIC with a bigger turbo. If you are using a FMIC with anything smaller than a 14b you will actually lose power. If you still have the stock turbo then you would be much more suited with a Supra SMIC.

Now, if none of these appeal to you... or you just want more of a variety you can check out www.slowboyracing.com or www.buschurracing.com or www.amsperformance.com or www.extremepsi.com

I would recomend not getting the Greddy kit because they have a really long pipe setup.

Also keep in mind that they will ask you what flange you want welded on. So if you havnt changed your BOV and you want to in the future... now is the time to do it.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

He actually has the big 16g in his car. And you could actually make IC pipes with bends and couplings but its not as good as a bent pipe or welds.

And sebba i know that both those kits look pretty good because they are all a full kit, but wouldnt it be more cost efficient to just buy the intercooler separate and the bends and couplings separate. I think total he could get away with like 350 rather than 600-800. But to do it he really needs to be creative with buying bends.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Banned

The core would be like 300 for a good one. And to get someone to spend the time bending it and calculating the exact distance needed and exact angle needed i just think unless you can do it yourself... you will be paying someone else for this. Labour charge will surely eliminate any saving you once had.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

idk ive seen some for around $200 that will work just fine and you can buy prefab bends. So say you figure out all the stuff you need (ex, a couple 90's, a 45) stuff like that can all be bought online cheap.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Banned

lol... experiment... find a pipe kit and a core seperate by the end of the hour.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...10986007QQrdZ1

Then play around with a the bends cuz i think this is for the stock turbo

Old 07-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

Well done. I stand corrected. Its upto him

Old 07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=yeahsmile.gif] Challenges are always fun. It really is up to how much custom stuff he wants to do, or if he wants all bolt on stuff.

Quick Reply: What do with with a FMIC