2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

What do I do next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Default What do I do next?

I am new to the DSM world and am looking at buying a 97 GS-T with these mods listed below. What is missing that I would definately need to look into upgrading to have a 400-500 hp car? What kind of boost level could I expect to run with these mods? Any suggestions on things to look at or ask the guy before I think about buying?
1997,MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE GST CONVERTABLE,72KMI,LTHR,CD,5SPD,2.4LSTROKER KIT,WEISCO PISTONS,SCAT RODS,ARP ROD BOLTS,ARP HEAD STUDS,3P VALVE JOB,NEW SC61 TURBO,NEW INTERCOOLER KIT,K&N INTAKE,4K MILESON ENGINE BUILD AND TURBO,TIEN LOWERING SPRINGS,APEXi 3" TURBO BACK EXHAUST.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Default RE: What do I do next?

2.4L stroker? I think the car was once a GS check if the rear wheels have drums. How much is he selling it for? Ask if it was a GS

Old 09-29-2007, 12:54 AM

i check to see if it has rear drums, i plan on running a car fax on it also. he wants 7000 for it. I was wondering about that 2.4 stroker, i figured it might be a typo and he meant 2.3. but if it really is the gs motor that he installed a stroker kit on and a bigger turbo then that wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing right?

Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 AM

well, i just did the free CARFAX that doesnt tell you much of anything, just a little info on the car itself and the vin number came up as a GS-T so maybe he just made a typo???

Old 09-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned

They did actually make a 2.4L stroker kit so its not a GS. It sounds okay.... what is he asking for it?

Personally i say dont bother and buy a GSX. I dont think you realise how difficult it will be to stop the wheels spinning in 3rd gear even.... possibly 4th.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:19 PM

7K(or a lil more) will get you a good GSX and build it up! Its always good to work on your own car. I would look for something with low miles and little to no mods. Because if you have that many mods you don't know whats been done with it. It seems your looking for power and performance GSX is AWD. But 500 to the wheels does cost a lot.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM

Is that a bad price though? And how reliable do you think it would be if I didnt modify it too much more? I ask because i am about to be driving back and forth to college 2 times a week 3hr drive there and back. I have a vehicle i am making payments on and am selling so i can have something paid off like that eclipse. I probably wont be racing it too much b/c i've tried to get past that a little bit (I used to own aRx-7). So what do you think???

Old 09-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

With decent rods and pistons that are mentioned, you will have no serious issues. You might have the usual DSM quirks like a PITA reverse gear or odd electrical occorances lol. But for the most part a setup like that would be rock solid... and capable of a lot more.

I dissagree with what Victim said because you can buy a fully built GSX for about 7k. In fact the cheapest i have seen a fully built GSX was 4k. It had weisco pistons and eagle rods and a decent turbo and a built tranny. So there are a LOT of options.

Im just saying that if you want all this power, having it in a front wheel drive car is going to SUCK *****.

Those same kind of mods i would look for on a GSX. I have my own ideal mods list. Here it is:

Built Motor (Weisco, eagle, scat, crower, etc)
Built Trans (TRE, Shep Trans etc)
Small Turbo (16g, 20g, 50 trim)
Name Brand Clutch (ACT, SBR, EXEDY etc)
Injectors
Tuning device (preferably not SAFC II)
Suspension (not 100% mandatory... but nice to have)
Front Mount Intercooler (as long as its not ebay... your okay)
NO GM MAF-T setups.
I look to see if the person is venting a blow off valve... if they are it usually tells me what degree of intelegance they are lol.

So thats the general jist of it. These things in a GST would all be nice if wheelspin didnt exist. And the fact that you can get all this in a car for as low as 7k (the 4k was a big fluke) i would rather have the GSX.

You wont experiance any of the usual DSM problems with these things, but what you have to keep in mind is that you are putting out a LOT more power than stock (about double) and the risk or breakage/stress goes up exponentially. For example, doing clutch dumps on a GSX with stock power output is a lot less stressful than doing it with a tuned 50 trim setup running 400+awhp... that would kill anything. So what im saying is as long as you treat it with respect, it will reward you the same.

All depends what you are willing to live with. Are you willing to live with shelling out shat loads for new tires all the time because you cant go wide open throttle in most gears? Even if you are now, it will get seriously old later.

If you can, GSX it

Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 PM

thankyou very much, that is very good information. I feel a little better about the car now. If i can find a nice GSX for sale anywhere around here then i might consider getting it instead. I was a little fearful with the FWD, i'm not used to it and i wasnt sure about all the wheel spin and tourque steer. But also like i said, i probably wont really be racing it too much so maybe i can make due with it. But you gotta be able to hook up and go WOT everynow and then!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Banned

Well good luck to you : )

Quick Reply: What do I do next?