2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

white smoke-----> black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: white smoke-----> black smoke

yes, well most likely. White smoke like they said is because of coolant. And this is ussually associated with the head gasket.

And if i read correctly then my guess is you get a big puff of black smoke every time you shift. Thats exactly what i had. Its because of the car burns oil. In some cars its worse than others because they start to get older. But like i said its really nothing to worry about there.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

yes, well most likely. White smoke like they said is because of coolant. And this is ussually associated with the head gasket.

And if i read correctly then my guess is you get a big puff of black smoke every time you shift. Thats exactly what i had. Its because of the car burns oil. In some cars its worse than others because they start to get older. But like i said its really nothing to worry about there.
ok good to know, thanks, o and can this cooling problem, cause my engine to like die? i was going up the hill, and after a little bit of pushing it, i threw it into neutral, and the car like died, and i open the hood, and white smoke is coming out around the intake manifold. can this cooling problem have caused my engine to die out until it cools itself?

Old 05-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

not really sure. If you say that it dies at idle i usually think some sort of leak. But i dont know if they are connected

Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

not really sure. If you say that it dies at idle i usually think some sort of leak. But i dont know if they are connected

no, i mean if im driving hard, and i throw it in neutral, as soon as the rpms drop when i throw it in neutral, it like dies, idk why, it dies, it just does, so i pull over, and i pop the hood, and its smoking white around the intake manifold

Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

well the engine i dont think enjoys burning coolant lol. It wouldnt suprise me if thats what was causing it to die. What do your plugs look like? You need to stop driving it and get that gasket changed. Dont take it to a non DSM place because they will screw with it for hours and do a crap job.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

well the engine i dont think enjoys burning coolant lol. It wouldnt suprise me if thats what was causing it to die. What do your plugs look like? You need to stop driving it and get that gasket changed. Dont take it to a non DSM place because they will screw with it for hours and do a crap job.
ok so deff, the head gasket? and im changing my valve cover gasket since its leaking too........im crossing my fingers lol

Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

valve cover is nothing big... if you run it hard you will get a little oil but its nothing major.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'd get the head gasket first. What EXACTLY did the shop that had it for 3 months DO? Can I see a list as well as the charges for each item?

Old 05-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

i think someone needs to make a little phone call. I smell bull****

Old 05-23-2006, 12:42 AM

Yha ill upload the pics of the reciept later, fasho they hella stupid at that shop

Quick Reply: white smoke-----> black smoke