THIS is why.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Default RE: THIS is why.....

Good Luck fellow DSM owner.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Banned

You got off easy man. Yet again.. i know a dude that had a set of messed up cam gears.. and he broke 4 timing belts in a few months... never bent 1 valve ever.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:18 AM

thats just too lucky, lol, i had it together today, drove it to work, did some tuning before i left, on the way home a WRX tried me, i only have FWD right now , he smoked me out of the hole & i caught it passed him, of course he let off as i was coming by so he had an excuse for gettin his *** handed to him
a piece of the back side of the throwout bearing came out of the bell housing, the clutch is workin fine now, so ill fix it when it explodes
runs great now other than a little fuel starvation when im gettin into 4th gear,good way to melt pistons, EGT jumps drastically about 100 mph and you can feel it start to crap out
time to go bigger on the pump i guess before i kill it[]

Old 12-15-2006, 04:42 AM

That's awesome that you got her running again. As for the pump, if it's not starving that much, you can rewire the stock fuel pump first. If it's going lean bad enough to really send the EGT high (how high btw?) then a rewire won't help.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:26 AM

well im not sure how hot is too hot on these but i know a diesel farm tracor we max limit them to 1050*, but thats because they run under full load for hours on end - mine shot from 800 up to 1100 within about 3 seconds when i hit 4th gear and it starts to stumble, i turned the boost down to 10 and the timing up to 8 degrees base & it does the same thing, just not as extreme - i also have a goofy idle from 1500 then a sudden drop then back up, sudden drop, and a check engine light, i think it might be the TPS, sometimes it idles at 2,000, others it idles fine, then starts jumping up & down - i need to get time to pull the code
what is max exhaust temp anyway?

Old 12-15-2006, 05:32 AM

What's your base timing bounce to when you unground it? It should be around 7-10 -ish. I know you know this but just incase, base timing is 5 degrees. Do you know where the timing ground is on the motor?
A hot EGT I believe is around 1300, actually, that's when you should start worrying.
Also, do you mean your ignition timing? You shouldn't mess with the base timing on a stock motor. An ignition timing increase is ok, but not cam timing. It may prove more hurtful than helpful.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 AM

Scratch that EGT temp, it's 1400F while cruising around and 1600F at WOT, but shouldn't go over 1600F.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

also could your bouncing idle be the IAC maybe

Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

..and possibley a boost leak too. The BISS is bad about that, come to think of it, so is the TB. EMonz made a great write up on taking a 1G apart and replacing the seals. Don't forget the rest of the piping too, like the bov flange and the bov itself.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

..and possibley a boost leak too. The BISS is bad about that, come to think of it, so is the TB. EMonz made a great write up on taking a 1G apart and replacing the seals. Don't forget the rest of the piping too, like the bov flange and the bov itself.
I was thinking about the boost leak too but i figured that would make his car run rich, not lean. So i kinda ruled that out. And a quick update on the TB fix, the seals should be hear on monday so hopefully friday well be taking the TB off so we can finish up the write-up

Quick Reply: THIS is why.....