2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

THIS is why.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Default RE: THIS is why.....

Well, if the car sucks in unmetered air through the piping or anywhere, the 'puter won't compensate for the extra air coming in and that will make the car run lean too, especially at idle, not so much at WOT. A boost leak during WOT can cause the car to run rich because it will be losing metered air and the turbo will also have to work harder and then the gauge will move slower in referrence to it and the car would also run like crap or very inefficiently.
At idle, a boost leak can cause the IAC to bounce the idle around because of the o2 picking up a lean mixture (via ECU). At the same token a bad IAC alone can cause a idle to bounce around too as you stated TE. I don't think the IAC alone is to blame though since most 1Gs are old to begin with and I bet so are the seals in the TB, not to mention any gasket that wasn't touched during the rebuild.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Well, if the car sucks in unmetered air through the piping or anywhere, the 'puter won't compensate for the extra air coming in and that will make the car run lean too, especially at idle, not so much at WOT. A boost leak during WOT can cause the car to run rich because it will be losing metered air and the turbo will also have to work harder and then the gauge will move slower in referrence to it and the car would also run like crap or very inefficiently.
At idle, a boost leak can cause the IAC to bounce the idle around because of the o2 picking up a lean mixture (via ECU). At the same token a bad IAC alone can cause a idle to bounce around too as you stated TE. I don't think the IAC alone is to blame though since most 1Gs are old to begin with and I bet so are the seals in the TB, not to mention any gasket that wasn't touched during the rebuild.
all common sence on that one.. come on john you know that lol..

And no my TB is not coming off till either sunday or monday. but expect more of a write up to be done since I am actually changes the seals on my EVO and will gets pics all along the way on how to do it

Old 12-15-2006, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Scratch that EGT temp, it's 1400F while cruising around and 1600F at WOT, but shouldn't go over 1600F.
well maybe im running rich being my exhaust temp is so much cooler, i have the probe in the manifold pretty much right before the turbo - i dunno im too cheap to buy all that stupid computer **** just to not go much faster, but i guess thats really the way to tune these cars
ive been through all the plumbing to check for leaks, soapy water & all, i think i might need a new hose between the turbo & MAF, this one looks pretty rough and looks like it has a roll of duct tape wraped around it, $100 for a little aftermarket tube & some clamps they can bite me, ill make one
i really wish i could eliminate the MAF alltogether

Old 12-15-2006, 07:53 PM

taken from buschurs website.

HKS Vein Pressure Converter (VPC)

The VPC is a fuel computer system that replaces the factory Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) setup with a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) assembly and controller. The benefit of this conversion is that the flow of the intake system is improved by eliminating the restrictive factory MAS sensor assembly.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

all common sence on that one.. come on john you know that lol..

And no my TB is not coming off till either sunday or monday. but expect more of a write up to be done since I am actually changes the seals on my EVO and will gets pics all along the way on how to do it
That in response to TE

Old 12-16-2006, 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: 93eclipsegsx

taken from buschurs website.

HKS Vein Pressure Converter (VPC)

The VPC is a fuel computer system that replaces the factory Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) setup with a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) assembly and controller. The benefit of this conversion is that the flow of the intake system is improved by eliminating the restrictive factory MAS sensor assembly.
yea i bet that thing is $1,000 lol, im researching, i like that idea

Old 12-16-2006, 04:33 AM

Hey guys, I am going to change my timing belt this sunday. What else do you recommend I change so THIS doesnt happen to me?

Old 12-16-2006, 05:04 AM

tensioner, tensioner pulley , idler pulley, balance shaft belt if yours isnt a 420a, and balance shaft tensioner pulley, or do like me and just take the balance shaft belt off & i got less vibration - its a good idea to change the water pump while you have it apart
and if your going to remove the balance shaft tensioner pulley dont forget to put a bolt in the hole it it makes a mega oil leak when its running

Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 AM

some will disagree with me and be raising hell here shortly about removing that belt to that worthless problem causing balance shaft...

Old 12-24-2006, 04:01 AM

ok its broke again, gotta love it, my timing belt idler pully - the new one- the bearing crapped out AGAIN, this one looks like it didnt have any grease in the bearing,i caught it before it damaged the belt or fell apart like the last one, it was ratrtling and starting to squeal & i got it home in time
so where should i buy pulleys that will last longer than 150 miles? im gettin really tired of junk parts

Quick Reply: THIS is why.....