2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Wierd Smoke Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Default Wierd Smoke Problem

So Guys I just picked up my 98 GST with 98kmiles on it. When i got it i noticed it was smoking alot of white smoke. got it home and went to it in the morning. It does not smoke when driving at highway speeds even at high boost and accel almost to the floor. it seems to smoke white.... but its a little greyish... also if im driving down the highway and floor it and it downshift (auto) i get a small puff of black/brown (think thats something else)

When I started it up in the morning it doesnt smoke. I let it warm up for a few min and then give it some gas and the smoke comes pouring out. once again white smoke. and it goes like that for a long time
lots of water exits the exhaust pipe but i dont see it being condensation..... i made sure its not steam but smoke. it has a gray tint to it but looks white first glance. What can it be. ? there is no bubbles in the coolant when its smoking and no milky oil or anything which should say the headand gasket is fine.... i pulled the lower IC pipe off to look for oil and not a single drop. and im just wondering if it was oil from valve seals or rings wouldnt it be more blueish and consistant while driving at highway speeds? and not only when idling and reving... seems to stop under load reving while parked will produce smoke too. im going to change the oil and spark plugs and stuff tommorow and see whats going on. u think its running rich maybe?

im lost here.
Also what viscosity of oil should i use. i plan to buy mobile 1 synthetic but dont know whether to get 10-40 or 10-30 or 20-50..? also i will get the lucas stabilizer see what it can be.? is there coolant running to the turbo at all? im thinking that might be a way for it to get into the exhaust if it is burning water/coolant.

thanks in advance guys.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Default RE: Wierd Smoke Problem

Go 10-w40, people say not to use that in the winter, i use it all year round and have no problems.

From what you describe it sounds like the rings, my car has similar problems. At start up no smoke, at wot no smoke, if I rev it up I get some smoke, *when I down shift from 50 and put load on the motor and then come to a compleat stop in the middle of 2nd their is smoke everywhere, its like the movie fog. I did a compression check and its the rings. To be compleatly sure do a compression check. That will be able to tell you if its the hg or rings. If its the rings it will read something like this(cyl 1-4) 180psi, 150psi,180psi,180psi. If its the HG its going to read something like this(cyl 1-4) 180,150,150,180. The headgaske will brings other cyls down with it. But if its noe constantly smoking at rest.... I am going to guess rings. We should start a pool, whos in?

Old 11-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah check your rings. Also keep an eye on the coolant level. Just because there is no oil in the water or no water in the oil doesn't mean it's NOT a blown head gasket. That is just one of the most popular signs of a blown head gasket. I had a head gasket blow between cylinders and the pressure cut a channel in the head. You could have blown the head gasket between the coolant channels and the cylinder. Again do the compression check and if ALL cylinders are out of spec then I'd say likely cause is rings. Also check the spark plugs for signs of coolant being burned on them. That would also be an indication of the head gasket going. As for running rich... You would have BLACK smoke if you were running rich not white. That should give you a start on what the problem might be.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:16 AM

Not all of the cyls will be out of spec, my car is losing cyl 3 ring land. My compression check went, 185psi, 180psi, 160psi, 180psi.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:02 AM

could there be coolant entering the exhaust via turbo? i checked for shaft play and there is some ... im not sure if its normal or not... it moves in and out
more so up and down and around........ is this a possibility

Old 11-12-2005, 01:04 AM

this is an auto by the way. is the turbo different then the manual?

Old 11-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Nah the manual and auto is merely the trans everything for the engine will be the same. And if the compression check is bad on 1 cylinder then I'd start by buying the head gasket and taking the head off to check if the head gasket is shot (You'll need to take it off to do rings anyways). Then if the head gasket is bad well you can merely change that and bee good (So long as the head is fine after a warp check and leakby testing). Now as for the turbo geting the coolant to the engine there is NO possibility. Anhtifreeze goes nowhere near the turbo oil is the only thing that gets to the turbo and shaft play won't even cause that to get to the engine. What happens when you get shaft play is the compressor fins will start hitting the housing and bend eventually (Correct me if I'm worng on that one but I'm pretty sure that's the way it goes).

Old 11-12-2005, 09:19 AM

You could have oil leaking through the seals on the turbo. That would cause the smoke. Personally I would do a compression check just to be sure that its not the rings or HG before you go and get a new t25 or 16g. But like sang said the stock turbos are not water cooled. Which is a good thing for a stock setup, the hotter the turbo gets the faster it will spool. So there is no way that coolent can leak for it.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:59 PM

well i dunno but it looks like there is a coolant line going to the turbo [&:]

Old 11-12-2005, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Polonez

well i dunno but it looks like there is a coolant line going to the turbo [&:]
there is an oil feed and oil return... i am almost positive that the stock t25 is not water cooled.

Quick Reply: Wierd Smoke Problem