2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Wierd Smoke Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Default RE: Wierd Smoke Problem

How much does it usally run to get the head gsaket piston rings timing belt and tentioners replaced. I knw the parts arnt to much but what would the labor run? Also if i replace the piston rings would it be good to put new pistons in or is that just even more work. I don't have a lot of money and i can't get more money with out a car.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:49 AM

im going to be looking for a new turbo thinking the evo 16 or a small 16g
will my mpg suffer if i run stock boost?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: 99clipsgst

How much does it usally run to get the head gsaket piston rings timing belt and tentioners replaced. I knw the parts arnt to much but what would the labor run? Also if i replace the piston rings would it be good to put new pistons in or is that just even more work. I don't have a lot of money and i can't get more money with out a car.
I got a timming belt, tensioner pully and it went 400 bucks, I priced out a headgasket and it was 1500. I cant imagen how much a rering and new pistons would go. What your going to want to do is find a performance shop to do the work. They know that their customers arent dumb(unless its a honda place). Regular shops charge an arm and a leg and sometimes charge you more for stupid **** because the customers dont know anything about the cars. Find a place to do it and tell them that you will buy all of the parts you just need someone to do the work becuase you dont have the time it do it. They should be able to hook you up a bit.

ORIGINAL: Polonez

im going to be looking for a new turbo thinking the evo 16 or a small 16g
will my mpg suffer if i run stock boost?
No it shouldent. If your looking for stock boost levels get a s16g. It will spool a little faster than the evo b/c its a bit smaller. The evo is good for high hp. Where the s16g comes with many hahn kits and works good with low psi(5-12).

Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 AM

if you are going to replace all that you might as well just do a motor overhaule. i just had one done on my old car and it was only between 1200-1300 but i got all new hoses as well.

Old 11-14-2005, 02:29 PM

Well I twas thinking of keeping stock boost for the time being until i can afford some more mods. im looking at a goal of 275 - 300 hp, while keeping stock boost and going to a 16g will my hp rise? more cfm? i guess ?? What do I "HAVE" to have in order to put a 16g other than the obvius like J pipe and install kit. What mods absolutely need to be done to accompany the 16g

Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM

A waste gate that insures stock boost pressure other than that your clear for take off. I would recomend getting and intake and catback but thats not needed. Check out dsm tuners.com they have lots of info on the subject and horespower estimates.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 PM

sounds good guess im ready to drop the turbo now
ill keep posted on progress

I just hope this solves it........ Someone Jump in if they think i should check something else before i buy a new turbo

Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 PM

If your looking for a direct replacement, go with the t28. its really close to the same size as a 16g and is a direct bolt on for 2g's. The only difference between the s16g and the t28 is the turbine wheel(a diff of .11). I am running a small 16g on my laser and I love it, lots of power and quick spool, but its up to you...

Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 PM

i was thinking of getting the evo 16g ...... as opposed to the t28 and such.. i dont mind changing some stuff around to install it. now you say the small g16 spools fast ...is it faster than the t25? and will the g16 evo be alot slower?

need recomendations fast... i plan to run stock boost till i get more money for future upgrades (injectors, Pump and so on)
i need an MBC, Boost guage and BOV for starts is that correct?
i guess the 1g BOV will do just fine ?

Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 AM

If you get an evo III b16g be ready for boost creep if you keep it internally gated. Thats why I recomended the s16g, you can use it internally gated, its a faster spool, good for what you want to do(low boost). Ya the 1g bov will be a good choice, BTW dont vent if you wnat performance.

Quick Reply: Wierd Smoke Problem