2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

will to much cold air cause the engine to stall?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Default will to much cold air cause the engine to stall?

hello guys,
will to much cold air cause the engine to stall? currently its raining and cold (40F)in west lafayette, IN and my 97 rs 2.0 loves to stall. wanna hear your opinion. thanks
Shamsul

Old 10-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Default RE: will to much cold air cause the engine to stall?

if your running lean then to much air period will cause it to stall, youll notice when it starts to get even colder that the engine will idle lower at normal operating temps but at startup it might idle a little higher, especially if you have a CAI, the point of these is to cram more air into the engine and if you dont have enough fuel to the engine then it cannot keep itself runnin.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:25 PM

Let your car run for a little bit...esp. with japanese cars, you need to warm it up to build a higher oil pressure, optherwise it wont run that well...ur idle is prolly anywhere from 6-800 when its been running for awhile...when u start ur car up itll be newhere from 11-1300...just wait for that to go down, and it should be fine...otherwise it runing on cold air shouldnt be that much of a problem....

Old 10-20-2004, 12:23 PM

I'm gonna say that the MAP sensor is having problems. Remember, this is the 420a he's got, it's the chrysler engine. No MAF, instead it has a MAP. The MAP sensor is the Manifold Air Pressure sensor. It measure's incoming air pressure and density, so cold damp air may be a problem for an old sensor. Maybe it's on it's last leg, just struggling to get by. Remember, the sensor is now 7 years old, it's won't last forever. Check the sensor and make sure it's working properly. A faulty sensor *can* cause the engine to run lean, like 1398 said, and then cause all those problems. Also, check the TB and make sure that at 0% pedal, the TB is still letting only a little bit of air through. If it's open too much at idle, then the car will stall quite often. Then you know the rest, check the fuel system, and see if there's any oil consumption and blah, blah...hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:37 PM

maybe it is the MAP and maybe it is not. frankly said that i only have this engine stall problem when i first start the car. drive a bit and stall. but then, after a while, the car runs great. might it be the engine is not warm enough? what is the ideal temperature of a working engine? mine is about 1/4 of the engine temperature scale, is this good enough?

Old 10-20-2004, 10:37 PM

the ideal operating temp is when the needle is right in the middle of the guage, i believe its about 180 F, i tend to have the same problem durring the winter, although it doesnt stall out, it will idle rough untill the engine is warmed up, probly the MAP sensor like Spyder said.........

Old 10-22-2004, 10:27 AM

I'm not sure if it's the same setup, but i know on 4g63's there is coolant that flows through the throttlebody to help warm it up in cold weather. Until the coolant is sufficiently warm, the tb is going to have some problems, some of them might be that the plate is kind of stuck shut and will stall the engine. Now, this rarely ever happens on 4g63's. Many DSMer's block off the coolant passages in the tb so that it doesn't introduce a possible in the system. But maybe Chrysler made the TB warming system a little more integral in the engine design?!? Maybe they did away with all together, i'm not sure. But it's another possibilty.

Old 10-23-2004, 12:57 AM

well guys, it is not that cold today here in my place, in fact the sun shines perfectly and the car runs great. not even a single stall happened to me. this is also the same for yesterday. i went to work at 6 am. wait about 10 minutes to let the engine warm, the rpm meter shown a bit lower then 1000 rpm then the car runs like never had any problem. i hope this would continue as time goes by.

Old 10-23-2004, 04:25 AM

Glad to hear your car was running good. Let me know what you choose for your intake.

Old 10-23-2004, 05:07 AM

well, i'm still using my current cold air intake. it was custom made by the original owner in texas. he combined 2 fans in the middle to suck the air in and a k&n filter with heat shield attached.

Quick Reply: will to much cold air cause the engine to stall?