2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Window controller problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Default Window controller problem

I have a 98 GST Eclipse,my electric door window controller keeps breaking aloose from the door panel.This is the 2nd one and the piece cost around 50.00.I'm not pressing hard on the switch,it's just a bad and weak design.What type of fix did you use or is it just my car with this problem?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Default RE: Window controller problem

did you take it apart to see why its doing this. might be the screw holes are stripped. if this is why you can try bigger screws or put some epoxy in the hole and screw inthe controller and let it sit over night. you just gotta think like McGuyver when these things happen.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 AM

Thanks tjbiker031! The reply you gave was very broad but it was the best answer unless you goto theparts department.I did the McGuyver thing and he would be proud of me.The screw legs were broken off so no gluing but I was able to use larger screws and picture hanging wire for more support.It works and cost was 0.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:51 AM

It's not just your car. The cheap plastic that was used is showing its age. Mine did the same thing. I was able to use a hot glue gun to get it back together since the screw posts broke on mine too. The glue doesn't work that great with the hot sum beating on it though. I'm going to have to use Plasti-Weld. It's the same idea as JB-Weld, but for plastics.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

It's not just your car. The cheap plastic that was used is showing its age. Mine did the same thing. I was able to use a hot glue gun to get it back together since the screw posts broke on mine too. The glue doesn't work that great with the hot sum beating on it though. I'm going to have to use Plasti-Weld. It's the same idea as JB-Weld, but for plastics.
Silvercoupe97 are you sure you want to permanently glue your controller to the panel? I used the metal support brace and screwed 2 larger screws thru it into the controller plastic holes and on the other side I cut about a inch of the plumber's metal tape and secured one end to a screw that's nearby and the other end of the metal scrap to one of the controllers hole with a larger screw, then the final hole I got some picture frame wire and wrapped it thru the controller hole and about 3ins. above there's a screw where I wrapped the other end of the wire to. The controller is rock solid and I can disassemble if I need to replace the controller.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 AM

Yeah, I used that flexible backstrap stuff when it first broke and the screw post that I screwed it onto broke too. That lasted about a year. Pretty good IMO. No worries though, Plasti-Weld isn't indestructible like JB-Weld is. It is pretty solid, but nothing a razor couldn't cut through. Oh, btw, I'm not covering the entire thing. I'm going to place the plastic on strategic parts/areas.
Another idea is to use the plasti-weld to create new post or just surfaces to screw into. I may do that instead. I can use it to create a more solid support with my metal backstraps. That should be pretty easy.
I don't press hard on the buttons either, but after a few years, those thin screw posts get so worn out. They are bound to break sooner rather than later.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 AM

When you repair your controller mount post when or if it breaks or come loose and I'll do the same.If your's last longer I may go your route next time.Good-Luck and I hope I don't here from you within 2-3 years(you know what I mean).