2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Default window regulator

well on the way home my regulator went out on my passenger door, i tried to roll up the window and i just stoped half way up, it rolls down fine but always stops half way up everytime. so my question is, is it hard to change out the whole regulator assembly? or should i just take it down to the dealer and have them do it? oh yea i got a 97 gst if you needed the info

Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Default RE: window regulator

holy ****!....mines out 2...passenger side also....97gst....i bought the whole regulator kit off ebay....shipped 2 tha house a lil under 100 bucks but havent installed it yet.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 AM

How do you know its the regulator?
Is it gear driven or cable driven.

Sounds more like the motor ot me.
If its cable driven, the window would not budge at all.
Gear driven it will be stuck in place most likely.
Seems like your motor is going out and is too weak to push the window up.
Seen this happen on other cars a hundred times.

To have it done at the dealers not bad.
It can be done at home, but changing the motor on a gear driven regulator is dangerous.
If those gears pop, you could lose a finger or 2.
Part would probally be aroun $60-70, and it should be no more than 1 hour of labor to do it for the shop, regardless of whether its motor (which it probally is), or the regulator.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

I think it is the regulator. Ive seen it happen before where the regulator assembly was screwed up and would kinda veir off, so when it got to a curtian point it wouldnt go any further. I think if it was the motor going it wouldnt just stop at that point it would just have difficulty going past it, like you would hear it struggling

Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

I think it is the regulator. Ive seen it happen before where the regulator assembly was screwed up and would kinda veir off, so when it got to a curtian point it wouldnt go any further. I think if it was the motor going it wouldnt just stop at that point it would just have difficulty going past it, like you would hear it struggling
I'm saying that if its stopping about halfway, thatstelling me that the motor is not out yet, but weaking b/c its still getting power, but not strong enough to move the regulator to position the window fully closed.
Seen it firsthand quite a few times.
You wont nessicarily hear it struggling. It may just cut out and be out of breath.
Its usually easier to changed the whole regulator, but the motor itself is cheaper than the reg./motor assy.