2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:37 AM
Default Window tint

I was thinking about installing window tint myself, with a couple of buddies. I was just wondering if anybody else did this and would have any suggestions.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Default RE: Window tint

get a stright edge to help make the cuts evan removing the glass makes it much easier other t han that it is cake work.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 AM

Is there a specific brand that works well. I know that some of the cheaper ones turn purple once they are exposed to sunlight.

just wondering, is there a specific temperature that is easiest to apply the tint on.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 AM

make sure you get a tint application kit it includes a liquid that is applied to the window before tint is placed on it room temp is fine and make sure the tine says Black or Limo tint and it sould not turn purple for ex i bout some from the cheepest store walmart it was limo tint pure black no purple.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:48 AM

also let timt cure before rolling the windows up or down after you install the window if you take them out or if they are in the car when you do the job.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:25 AM

Removing the window is great, but if you can't...you can always fit the tint to the outside first and getting the shape you need. Of course the wetter it is the better and easier, even when you are just getting a template cut from the outside. Get a rubber squeegy, not plastic!

Old 04-12-2006, 10:29 AM

I have put tint on 4 cars before. For the back window you will need a heat gun to mold the tint around the curves. as for getting the side right make a bottle of water and baby shampoo and spray the outside of the window then lay the piece of tint over it and get al the bubbles out. then take a razor and cut the tint to fit. For windowas that go up and down add 1/2" to he tiop and add 1 1/2" to the bottom. once you get the tint cut spary the inside of the window and the tint w/ the soapy water. Then peel the back of the tint of and put it on. As long as the window and titn is wet it will not stick and you can move the tint around. once it's in place get a credit card or squeege as run it up nd down the window to remove the bubbles.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Window tinting is hard... I heard it was easy too...until I tried it.. I'm just glad it was on my old car and not my DSM. I'd practice on some old car first, lol.. plus that **** gets so expensive I don't see why you don't just get it done by a professional. Pay 150-200 bucks and get it done right.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:49 PM

I've done tint on 3 cars. I've done a few different approachs. For the back to small windows on my eclipse i cut out a 2 ft by 2 ft sq. and applied it on. Just make sure u spray teh window well, and apply the tint oneside at a time AND TAKE UR TIME. Also if u don't have a garage don't do it while its windy. You'll regret it. The rear window i did with the 5 inch sheets. At autozone for 9 bucks u get dark limo tint and u apply like 5 or 6 rows of this 5 in tint. Turned out great. only one small bubble .

Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mysterio2099

Window tinting is hard... I heard it was easy too...until I tried it.. I'm just glad it was on my old car and not my DSM. I'd practice on some old car first, lol.. plus that **** gets so expensive I don't see why you don't just get it done by a professional. Pay 150-200 bucks and get it done right.
I only paid $100 to do the EVO in full 20% tint all around and look at the size of my car

Quick Reply: Window tint