2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

ye olde clutch story

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:33 AM
Default ye olde clutch story

well basically i am screwed. i have no money and my clutch just took a $#!+. like, car doesnt budge and wont stall out or move if i dump the clutch in first. so, heres the story part..

my buddy coury said his uncle could get me a deal on a clutch, and my clutch started slippin so i took him for a little ride (like 2 minutes around the block) and on the way back to his house, the clutch just died. no movement in the car whatsoever.
soooo....
me and him try to push it back to his house to get it off the main street. we hit a hill and cant push it up, cause we are weak.. so we call my buddy blake and have him walk down to help us push.. still too steep of a hill for the 3 of us to manage... this is about when woody comes up with the best idea i have ever heard..

he pulls up the '87 dakota behind my car and me and blake hop on the hood.. woody eases the the truck up to my car with blake and my feet stickin out in front of his truck and we start to push my car up the hill with our feet.. with coury steerin my car, we somehow manage to make it all the way up the hill and back to coury's house where it currently sits in the street. i am sooooo pissed we didnt video tape this.

but anyway, my mom is letting me cash a bond i have in the bank right now, prolly worth a little under 500. but idk when i can get this clutch by. i need a car by tuesday for school because i am taking her car to school monday. but we will see how it goes

Old 02-03-2007, 03:24 AM
Default RE: ye olde clutch story

ouch... clutchs take a while unless you do it yourself. The first weekend I had my GS eclipse the clutch went out cause the car was beat buy the first owner. I brought it back to the dealer and they had my car for like 2 weeks before I got it back and I needed to fight them just to cover it. they were like how do we know you didnt race it or something. I was like maybe because I have had the car since wednesday night till not 330 friday after noon and now the car is dead. Seriously if it was me a day and a half I cant kill a clutch im not that bad lol.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:45 AM

ya im deffinately doiin it myself, ill probably do it monday at the garage i work at. think i can knock it out in an hour or so?

edit: given i have every tool on gods green earth at my finger tips

Old 02-03-2007, 04:26 AM

it will prolly take you like 4-6 hours to get it done... if ya know what yer doin.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:01 PM

well i brought it into the shop today, and my boss said hes gonna have one of his mechanics work on it for what he would make an hour instead of the shops hourly fee. itll probably be done by tuesday hopefully[:@]

Old 02-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Name:  tow.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  17.5 KB

i hate this sight

Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 PM

well we had the tranny out of the car today at the shop and took a look at the old clutch vs. the new clutch.. note the complete lack of padding on the bad clutch on the right.. i swear that thing was thinner then a pringle chip.. the flywheel was completely blued from all the heat of the metal on the clutch rubbing on it, it actually looked like it was professionally blued since it was so even all the way around, and the flywheel was also full of cracks. the teeth on the pressure plate had gouges around the tips like someone had taken a file to them, and i spent an hour and a half cleaning all the shrapnel from the exploded clutch outta my bell housing.. fun day
Name:  clutchvs.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  62.3 KB

o total cost of this job btw, $950.. that includes 9 hours of labor and 400 bucks in parts. my boss gave me a good deal on the labor tho.instead of the usual 80-90 or whatever he charges an hour, he charged me 50, and that was mainly for the mechanic he had working on it.. i woulda done it myself but i didnt want to waste my time on it, i do trust the work that this guy does tho.. he usually works on bmw's and mercedes' so im sure he'll be thourough.. o i forgot to mention above, the mechanic said he found like 3 bolts missing from the transmission to the block from the last time someone changed the clutch, i guess this one wasnt the original.. o well, i get the car back thursday hopefully.. cant wait!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 AM

lol i dont think that picture needs labled. Got a little hot eh? flung the material right off. gotta love it.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM

ya i went back to work and the box my bad clutch (the one on the right lol) was sitting in was full of shavings that looked kinda like black cotton.. take a big whiff of that stufff.. mmmmmmmm cancer!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Yea inhale some burntfiberglass fuzz, that'll clear your sinuses right out.

Quick Reply: ye olde clutch story