3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

04 Infinity System

Old 05-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Default 04 Infinity System

I just bought a 04 Spyder GT with the Infinity system. Does anybody know how to upgrade the sound system while still using the same head unit? If you have done it how does it sound and did you use a sub. I wanted to replace the factory speakers with Kappa 5.25 in the front and Kappa 6.50 in the back if they will fit. I would like to replace the factory amp as well as add some bass. Any input will help...... Thanks

Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 04 Infinity System

It shouldn't be hard to figure out the wires to replace the big problem is going to be the speakers fiting and mounting the amp. You'll have to make sure the amp you wanna use to replace has teh same amount of outputs as the current amp and you will have to use the high level inputs for the amp instead of the (IMO more reliable and more stable) low level inputs. You shouldn't have to mess with any wiring or anything under the dash at all being you're planning on using the factory equipment.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:37 AM

Thanks, Do you know if there is a center channel on this system on top of the dash? there is a space for it lt but I can't find any info. If so do you know what size the speaker is? Good Guys told me the Kappa speakers would fit without any mods for the front and rear. Do you think they are wrong? I am really looking for plug and play here.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Either way you go it won't be COMPLETELY plug and play. Replacing ANY speakers you'll have to hack the stock connector off and splice in the normal speaker connectors. (You'll see what I mean when you pull the speakers the wiring will have to be spliced but it's REALLY simple to do) Otherwise all you should have to do is buy the kappa's that are the right size to fit what you already have. Either do the research and find the size online or whatnot OR take the speakers out of the car (Just 1 front and 1 rear is all you'll need) and take them in for comparison (Remember there ARE speakers out there that use 3 mounting points and others using 4 that way you make sure you have the right setup). As for a center channel... I don't know if there is one on a stock radio. If there is then it may be incredibly difficult to get to. You may end up ripping the dash apart to get to it (NOT fun trust me). opefully this advice helps you out

Old 05-03-2005, 01:32 PM

if you are just replacing the speakers you can remove the old ones, cut the wires, and connect them to the new speakers. For a sub on the stock head unti, if you want to do it the right way and have it sound good, you need to buy a high to low converter (radio shack doesnt have them, try a car stereo shop or i got mine at a car parts store). You connect that to the rear speaker wires and then you can just plug your amp for the sup into the converter.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

I've never heard of that type of converter. I always just used the high input on the amp. Most amps have them.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:53 PM

no you run the high/low converter from the stock head unit to the amp that is going to power your sub. Most aftermarket faces already have a low output for a sub, but on the stock head unit (which he is giong to keep) you need to tap into the existing speaker out wire, and use the high/low converter so you get true bass from the sub, and not just low sounding music. If you look around everyone uses them on stock faces.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

I've never used them due to the fact that I've always replaced the head unit before anything else. I never claimed to know all :P just quite a bit about audio LOL

Old 05-04-2005, 10:55 PM

i hear ya, i never knew about em either until my friend told me

Old 05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

LOL I always thought the best thing you could do for a sound system was ditch the stock head unit. Gave the best gain in performance for he $ you spend. So I never messed w anything until that was done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 Infinity System