3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

2000 Eclipse electrical nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Default 2000 Eclipse electrical nightmare

I just bought a 2000 Eclipse from my buddy 2.4L 5-speed with a rod knocking going to pull the engine and have it rebuilt but it also has a few more problems. The headlight wire ends burned up a few years ago and the are really dim. The passenger side window motor also burned up and if you don't pull the negative battery cable the battery will die. You can also pull the window fuse in the engine compartment. I unplugged the burnt motor but there is still a draw in the fuse box so there has to be a short but where should I start looking. One last thing before the engine started knocking the car was a pain to drive because you had to hit the clutch and rev the motor to keep it running when you need to stop. Does anyone have any solutions??? Or know where I can get some??

Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned
Default RE: 2000 Eclipse electrical nightmare

You need to check the grounds on that car. Replcae all the fried wires. You have a short someware! Try and find it wht a multi meter.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Default RE: 2000 Eclipse electrical nightmare

if you don't pull the negative battery cable the battery will die. You can also pull the window fuse in the engine compartment. I unplugged the burnt motor but there is still a draw in the fuse box so there has to be a short but where should I start looking.
Hook up your DVOM in series with the negative cable and monitor amperage draw with the key off. Start unplugging fuses from the fuse box one at a time and watch for the amperage draw to change or drop considerably. Once the draw goes away- look at the fuse you just pulled to identify what circuit is still powered with the key off.

The headlight wire ends burned up a few years ago and the are really dim.
Solder a new headlamp harness/connector for your headlamps and remove the cheap "high wattage" bulbs that are in there. Buy some quality bulbs like PIAA or Catz. I've used those for years with no issues. You should be able to find replacement headlamp harness at the dealer or perhaps at a local auto parts shop. This is a common occurance and in most cases that i've rapaired- aftermarket "high wattage" bulbs were used.

the car was a pain to drive because you had to hit the clutch and rev the motor to keep it running when you need to stop.
Try removing the intake hose and cleaning out the throttle body and throttle plate with a rag soaked with Carb/throttle body cleaner. These aerosol cleaners can be purchased at any auto parts store.

Good luck!

Joel, CA