PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

2000 Diamante Nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Default 2000 Diamante Nightmare!!

First off I am not a big fan of engine performance on these vehicles-lol
I have drove myself nuts on this car's issues.
First it was 7 blown fuses and found a nickle in the cig lighter socket so fixed the fuses, electrical tested the alternator and it was not charging very well. Replaced it.
Two weeks later the starter went out on this lady. I got there and checked it out and found it caught fire internally and burned up the battery cable. So exchanged the starter at the place here called Penny Pinchers Auto Parts who has a reputation for selling low quality and low prices. I took it back for her and got it exchanged and installed it with a new mitsu battery cable. Drove 25 miles and stopped and started it 15 times. Fixed.
Two weeks later she calls and now it stalled on her. I had a check engine light on and it stated bad 02 sensor for the back downstream. She said this was the same code she had when the hack mechanic installed an 02 sensor for her. He installed the wrong one. I replaced the back faulty sensor and the code went away but now the car doesnt idle at normal rpms. I was underneath and i see the 02 sensor wires the guy put in were melted and close to the starter but i could not determine if the starter fire caused it. SO i started taking that sensor out and found it was stripped. SO had the exhaust shop weld a new bung and installed a new 02 sensor, i had seen smoke puff out of the hole before i replaced the sensor, so i thought maybe this was part of my problem for it running at 3000 rpms. I unplugged the air meter and it ran at 1100rpms so i thought i had a bad sensor, so ordered a used one from junk yard but does the same thing.
I have checked all vacuum lines visually and they seem fine.
I plugged in the new-used sensor and it doesnt come down.
I used my vantage and 5 volt reference is present, KEOE 4.75 volts is present.
The lady who gave me this car said she lost her trust in the car because its always broken down-lol
Any ideas....oh...the air box appears to be all there but both of the upper clips to unlock the two halves of the air filter housing is broken but i dont think thats adding to this problem.
I am not getting any engine codes at this time, just the 3000 rpms.
New plugs and wires appear to be close to new.
Vehicle has 170 miles and ran good until now.
Almost forgot.....back of the throttle body area there is a plunger type sensor that appears to be adjusted by a screw with a torx but i dont see any other wire going to this. I have no idea what this part is.
There is a phillips screw at the top of the throttle body that is loose and im not sure how to adjust it and my alldata doesnt tell me how to fix it right if thats a problem. I dont know.
I am using the older 2005 vantage and dvom. Scanner is a otc nemysis so i can read parameters and codes only at this time.
Thank you for your time.
New findings......car starts and holds at the high idle. Disconnected the air meter and closed the hood....car almost dies, open the hood and idle comes back to that 1100 rpms.....close the hood and it almost dies again.....open hood and comes back to 1100 again.
No accidents and it does not appear the hood is touching any parts, at least that i can see that would show indentations.

Last edited by protech mobile; 08-19-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: new findings